Pils malt, DMS and the 90-minute boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew Deathbrewer's Rye recipe (it looks and sounds amazing, BTW....that guy comes up with some really good stuff, and I like his loose approach to style, too:rockin:) and I was wondering about the 1.5lbs of Pils. It's only 12.8% of the total grain bill. Is that enough that I will want or need to do a 90-minute boil? How perceptible would the DMS be at that level?

I don't think a 90 minute boil is necessary at all. If Pils approaches 50% of the grist, then I'd think about the oft-referenced 90 minute boil to drive off DMS.

A long boil time is only part of the equation in eliminating DMS; quick cooling is equally (if not more) important.

that's interesting (both of your points, angler)....I've been poring over Brewing Classic Styles (and Radical Brewing, but that's another matter) and every recipe with any Pils at all Jamil calls for a 90 minute boil......therein lies my curiosity.

I can cool a 1/2 batch to pitching temp in 10-15 minutes, and a full batch in about 25-30, but it drops dramatically to about 100F int he first 10 or so minutes.....is that decent cooling time? My IC is a bit weak and I'll be building myself a larger one someday.

Back