Ideal Temp. for Wyeast 3068

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeamusMac

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm starting a batch of Apfelwein using Wyeast 3068 (Weihenstephan Weizen) and I'm looking for some input on the ideal temperature for fermentation from those who have used it. I'm aware that fermentation temperature has a huge effect on which esters/phenolics are produced by the yeast and so I'd like to get strong clove phenolics for this batch without adding any actual cloves. The yeast's ideal range is from 64-75*F and I have the ability to keep my batch anywhere within that range using a warm water bath in a 62*F room.

Any recommendations?

Well I've had no responses so based on what I've read online I'm going for 65*F, which is barely within the yeast's comfortable fermentation range but I read an account on another site of Wyeast 3068 being used at this temperature with great results as far as phenolics and esters are concerned.

"I have fermented on batch with this yeast at 65 degrees F. It was light in the banana esters but had plenty of clove for my tastes. It seems most people recommend a higher temp to get more banana." - Anonymous

http://ww w.bodensatz.com/yeastdb/index.php?YMode=Display&Manu=Wyeast&Code=3068

I don't have any experience with this yeast in a cider application, but my suggestion would be to keep it on the lower end of the range.

If your room temp is 62 this batch WILL ferment at at least 72º unless you have a way to cool it down. At high temps it produces monster amount of banana and bubblegum flavors. I would use a swamp cooler and try to keep the temps down as low as possible if you want clove phenols to outweigh the esters. Shoot for the 65º mark.

Cheers

EDIT: This is based on knowledge of its fermentation tendencies in beer not cider.

If your room temp is 62 this batch WILL ferment at at least 72º unless you have a way to cool it down.

That's a good point! I'm going to buy a stick-on thermometer tomorrow and try my best to keep the temps down. The room is just a storage room so I can drop it to 10*C if I want. The yeasties will be huddling together for warmth!

Latest posts

Back