Can sulfur smell be resolved with conditioning or adding more juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argentum

Reaction score
All, I know there are a lot of posts on sulfur odors in cider, but I haven't found an answer to these two particular questions:

For background: I started a 2-gallon batch of cider about 10 days ago. I used apple cider, apricot and peach juices (all 100% juice, no preservatives), and also dissolved 1# Belgian candi sugar in about 2 cups of the mixture. OG was about 1.07. I pitched an entire packet of Montrachet yeast into the 2 gallons. After a few days there was a noticeable sulfur smell coming from the fermenting bucket (which I think does not have an airtight seal). Within the following week the smell largely abated...until I opened the fermenter to take a gravity reading. Then I got a strong whiff of sulfur, but after that, nothing. The FG is something around 1.008, so the ABV is pretty high and that's what this smells like - winey and alcoholy. I DID still think I detected a sulfur smell when I swirled the sample, so I splash-racked the cider to a secondary and aerated a little. I figured if that cures the sulfur smell great, if it won't work and further oxidizes my stinky cider, I'm no worse off.

I put the sample I took in a separate container in my fridge and it seems to still be giving off an initial sulfur smell when I open the container, but again it becomes unnoticeable after the container is opened.

Here are my two questions: first, is the apparent abatement of the smell any reason to hope that in time, it will go away completely, either because I racked it or because it just will? For example, might this smell just be the result of the yeast "cleaning up" after itself post-fermentation? Or is this batch shot?

Second, what if I were to add more juice to the secondary, and allow it to ferment as well? I know (from these forums) that H2S is detectable in extremely small amounts, but if I can only detect the smell after it's been in a closed container for a while, might more juice make it undetectable?

Any advice would be appreciated - thanks!

Relax. The rhino fart smell is quite common with cider and will dissipate with time(a couple weeks).
Reviewing the occurrence of the smell, it seems to happen less often when you add yeast nutrients to the batch. Also some thought that it may be due to 'stressed' yeast, which may explain why the nutrients help. Oxygenation at pitching might help prevent as well. I probably would not have racked it off the yeast until the smell was gone, just to give the yeast a greater chance to work on it.
But whatever the cause, it will disappear if you give it enough time. I don't think that adding more juice will make any difference.

For future reference, you can very nearly eliminate that odor by using yeast nutrient & DAP (diammonium phosphate), and ferment at the lower end of the recommended temp range if you can.
Regards, GF.

Back