What do you do for a living?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm a chef at the very overpriced Kaikodo in Hilo.my job duties include way too many smoke breaks,freaking the saute guy out on a daily basis by telling him that the big burly monster grill guy thinks hes freaking hot,eating and watching the dishwasher cringe as we blare death metal for 8 hours straight!its all in good fun,trust me we all have our fun with each other:)

I design kitchens, bookcases, bathroom cabinets, entertainment centers, home offices, and wetbars.

The bars are my favorite part. :rockin:

Former aircraft mechanic, but I am now a CNC operator for a stone shop. I just got an offer yesterday from the top paying airline in the country, so I think this CNC stuff is short lived.

Sales Manager for a large industrial distribution company. I cover 2.5 states, and get to see all types of manufacturing processes....

Two of my customers are breweries, thats what got me interested in Homebrew.:cross:

beerman6 said:
I am a journeyman machinist and part time custom hunting knife maker in norther Ill.
Got a link to web page with photos of your knives? I always thought that would be a really cool hobby, to me at least. Also, do you sell your work? Please put an add in the classified section, I love custom knives!

cnbudz said:
Residential and Commercial mortgage broker. I'm licensed for all of New England, New York, and Florida

Jammin busy lately, eh! Hope you saved up while times were great...

I would say the medical and computer folks are in the majority here! There must be some connection between these 2 professions and brewing. Is it the pressure, the stress, the bordom, or the technical aspects of the science of brewing?:confused:

Dr Malt

I know I've already posted my occupation in this thread, but here is a graphical glimpse as well! ;)

I forecasted those beautiful clouds for these F-22s!

636-formation4pic.JPG

636-f22refueling.JPG

My job is to forecast the weather all over the world for air refueling. We support all 4 branches of the U.S. Armed Forces as well as foreign aircraft.

When I was looking at various branches of the military, I thought being guy who sat in the back of the refueling airplane was a job I would like to do. Air Force wasn't hiring much at the time, so I got the submarine with no view instead.

cnbudz said:
Actually, it's mainly the subprime market that tanked. And, since I don't do much subprime business it really hasn't affected me
*crosses fingers*
Glad to hear that. I thought all of the real estate market had slowed drastically up here, and also thought the refinancing boom had slowed down, but you are fortunately also involved w/commercial so probably not so volatile. Nice!

I'm a corporate engineer for a national window company. I do product design and process support from a corporate office. I specialize in sealants and insulated glass. I'm sort of like a consultant to multiple manufacturing sites.

I hunt and fish, brew occasionally, smoke cigars and ride my motorcycle.

All funded by my job as a network admin for a timeshare/resort in Branson, Missouri.

I'm a technical trainer on some days, a sales engineer on other days, and a sales engineering manager the rest of the time, on a global basis. I speak fluent German and enjoy visiting our German office in Erding across the street from the Erdinger Brewery near Munich. I'm also an Assistant Scoutmaster in my son's Boy Scout Troop. I was a volunteer fire fighter and EMT for 5 years in a much earlier life.

Schlenkerla said:
I'm a corporate engineer for a national window company. I do product design and process support from a corporate office. I specialize in sealants and insulated glass. I'm sort of like a consultant to multiple manufacturing sites.

Man, I just signed a contract for replacement windows in my house. Going with Renewal by Anderson.

I work for the department of social and health services as a social worker that is a social security facilitator.:confused: In otherwords... I help disabled people manage the paperwork for social security disability.:D But who knows what i'll be doing six months from now.:fro:

Willsellout said:
I'm in the Coast Guard. Best job in the world currently. I'm second in command, manage the budget, all the admin, and I get to drive boats around and work on buoys and such. Greatest job ever until we run into sh*t like this
l_6e78be097a3adf2fea85e30aa710b4b6.jpg

Dan

We love how the seals take home to the buoys in Santa Cruz. I have a great pic I blew up of the mile buoy in Monterey Bay on my office wall, one is facing straight toward our yacht (west) and the other straight north. Suckers. :)

-- Trev

Dude said:
I know I've already posted my occupation in this thread, but here is a graphical glimpse as well! ;)

I forecasted those beautiful clouds for these F-22s!

636-formation4pic.JPG

636-f22refueling.JPG

My job is to forecast the weather all over the world for air refueling. We support all 4 branches of the U.S. Armed Forces as well as foreign aircraft.

Freaking awesome dude!!! :)

-- Trev

I'm a stay at home daddy. Have been since my daughter was born a little over 2 years ago. Right now I'm looking for a job that will pay me more than what daycare costs on this damn island (Oahu). I have a BFA in graphic design. I have not gotten any use out of it. What creative energy I have left after chasing a rambunctious toddler around and keeping her from destroying the house goes into brewing, woodworking, guitar and whatever else I feel like and can afford. My wife is in the Navy.

I work for an engineering company doing process plant/piping design.
Actually did alot of work at the A-B brewery in Newark..but don't blame me
for the taste.:D

Network administrator - keep the email flowing, computers connected, etc. Also run a phone switch, install av equipment, program Crestron automation gear, etc

Schlenkerla said:
:off: I work for their arch enemy in doors & windows. Pella!

Doh! That's OK, you can still make my Apfelwein. :cross:

Man if I could spend what these windows & 5 french sliding doors are costing me on a brew hut and equipment. Man oh Man! I'd have one of these.

1925.jpg

Perhaps if I tell SWMBO I can use the savings in heating & cooling to buy one.....

soon to be laid off, I'm afraid. The "Globalization of Bank of America" continues and as soon as I heard the word Hyderabad, I knew I was ****ed. about 100 jobs from my department are headed overseas, about 40 of them are current associates and the rest would come from currently open positions and contractors. We have quite a few people but the buzz words being thrown around pointed right at my team which, if you add up all the shifts in my office and our TX office, adds up to about 30 people.
We should get the official yeah or neigh by the end of the month but I'm not expecting good news.... It just pisses me off since I was hired on just 2 months ago when I was a contractor in this office. Unbelievable....

Sorry to hear that Todd. I'm going to leave BoA and give my bidness to Wells Fargo. I like BoA Web Access, but that is all I will miss. I'm sure they make up for lost business from me with about 20 illegal aliens. I hate it when I call a company and end up speaking with some unintelligible person in Bangalor making believe they are offering customer service. Grrrrr. I feel a rant coming on.

Sorry Todd, but I know as an IT dude, you will land on your feet and feel better about it.

I'm a professional wine taster. nothing knocks my socks off more than to taste wine, and brew beer. in fact. i hate tasting wine. i hate my job. i brew and consume beer. drinking it in abundancies. because. i hate tasting wine.

These days. anyways.

5gB <-- really in the drunken rambling ss section

4 current occupations:
#1: Lead engineer at a Product Development firm
#2: Founder of my own Product Development / Enginering consulting firm
#3: Going to Law School at night
#4: Keeping SWMBO happy

I am grad student in Molecular Biology (technically Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology) but my specialty is molecular biophysics. About to start writing my dissertation as soon as I get this paper I am working on submitted, defend my thesis in late august, and then start looking for a job in biotech.

ColoradoXJ13 said:
I am grad student in Molecular Biology (technically Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology) but my specialty is molecular biophysics. About to start writing my dissertation as soon as I get this paper I am working on submitted, defend my thesis in late august, and then start looking for a job in biotech.

A job in Biotech in Boulder? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Audio-visual tech for a university...I take care of equipment, produce videos, digitize video, and stream it. I also teach B&W photography PT. That's how I make money.

But I am an artist working with video, audio, installation, electronics, and mixed-media. I'm also a yard haunter and circuit-bender, and now a brewer. That's how I lose money.

Melana said:
A job in Biotech in Boulder? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

actually the job market here sucks...and I have to leave this place...my life is pretty stagnant and i need a drastic change soon, too many memories in this place.

Self-employed head-hunter for software and hardware engineers in Silicon Valley.
Pluses- I get to work from home and surf the internet all day.
Negatives- Waste time on internet = no deals and no money. Stress. Dependent on the economy

Back