Flaked Corn?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoreman

Reaction score
Is all the flaked corn on the market for brewing the nasty GMO pesticide ridden stuff? And is there another option?

Be prepared. Those 3 letters tend to derail threads rather quickly.

I think the alternative is to find some none-GMO corn and boil the snot out of it. I tried my first batch of Cream Ale with homeground boiled meal and it's a bit of a PITA. I think I screwed up by not adding some barley to the cereal mash.

I'm not looking to debate GMO vs nonGMO by the way - just looking for flaked corn and wondering about the ingredient.

Like gabe said you can use ANY corn, you just have to handle it properly. Flaked corn is pre-gelatinized, it is in a sense already "mashed" for you, it's prepared to use. But you can take any corn product and do a cereal mash (google it) grits, corn on the cob, canned corn, creamed corn, polenta, cornmeal, corn starch. You can treat air popped popcorn, corn flakes cereal and even tortilla chips as pre gelatinized, and just toss them in the mash tun, or try a cereal mash and see if there's a difference. Then there's obviously corn sugar and corn syrup (without additives, there's one brand that is pure syrup without vanilla or anything added, (I can't remember the name, and it's hard to find, but there might be one in a health foods store.)

So basically if you find some corn that you feel comfortable using, then you just have to treat it accordingly.

I raise sweet corn for local sale. I grow mostly triple sweets and super sweets, I will not name the varieties as it is a business secret. Each year we put up a large amount as freezer corn. My method is to steam it for about 8 minutes which is basically fully cooked. I use this from time to time in PM brews. I go by weight calculating about 80% water weight. I take it out of the freezer and thaw it. I just use a steeping bag and it works very well.

Back