summer beer suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomtanner

Reaction score
Hello all. New Brewer just batches in. I love ipa's and stouts but want to make something different for the upcoming warm weather. Something not quite as bitter as an ipa but still having a bite. Possibly something with an orange taste. Also want to brew something with higher alcohol percentage. Any suggestions?

If you don't want something quite as bitter as an IPA brew a nice dry-hopped pale ale, not as bitter but still have delicious flavor

I'm working on a dry hopped pale ale recipe for summer. But I'm thinking of doing 2 wheat beers as well. One with orange & lime zest,one with honey & blueberries.

If you still do extract and kits I would recommend the American Pale Ale from Brewers Best. I added a 1oz dry hop of Cascade after 10 days in the primary for 7 days (17 days total), then kegged and carbed and it was delicious.

http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/1013_American_Pale_Ale.pdf

Edit: The recipe only says 2oz bittering and 1.5oz aroma, but I used cascade hops for both, then added 1oz dry hop for 7 days.

I saved the page,since there's some good tips! Like hop under-utilization by boiling in less than 2 1/2 gallons of water. IDK,i made a hop tea with 1 1/4 gallons for 15 mins for a late addition. And since I'm making a pale ale that is sort of a "continental" version,I didn't want too much hop profile. Good info,though. But now I gotta go out & buy more stuff...:D

Yeah, I should have also noted that I do a full 5 gallon boil so I cut it down to 1 oz bittering and stuck with the 1.5 oz aroma, plus the 1 oz dry-hop. It turned out great and while I am starting all-grain, this has been one of my favorite kit beers and I plan on converting this from extract to all-grain so I can drink it again :mug:

I did 1oz of Kent Golding pellets for 15 mins. Going to dry hop with 1oz of Willamette. Should have an even better aroma/flavor than what's already developing as we speak. This one is going to be a lot closer to the pale ale I envisioned for the style. But this particular recipe should make a nice summer beer,as the hop/malt balance seems to be pretty good so far. The color is a light golden with an amber blush. Looks kinda purty!:rockin::mug:

I'm gunna take a look at that recipe. Want a bit more color & maltiness in it,but try to maintain the hop balance. The wheat with citrus thing has intrigued me for a while. I'm thinking the zest of one orange,& the zest of 1/2 lime. I've seen vids.etc where zest of 1-2 limes didn't work out too well. Seems that keeping stronger lime zest flavors down is the key. Maybe even some cracked coriander seed with it as well? That seems to be getting popular. I'll have to start writing the recipe for that one.

Can't go wrong with a nice cream ale on a hot summers day mowing lawns and pulling weeds.. Dry it out a little and you find yourself drinking more and sweating less..lol

I have the same hankering....
I am getting ready to brew up Jamil's Victory APA weekend after next:

8.0 lb LME Golden Light (Briess)
0.50 lb LME Munich Malt (Breiss)
0.50 lb LME Wheat Bavarian (Briess)
0.75 lb Victory Malt (Steep 30 min)

0.67 oz Magnum* [14.00 %] (60 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min)
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (10 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min)
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (0 min)

1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

*Jamil has Horizon, I subbed Magnum because I already have them.

Got my first cream ale fermenting now. Planning on making a pale ale/English IPA within a 2-4 weeks so that it's ready come the warmer weather. My last pale ale/English IPA came out really good. I'll adjust things a little, but otherwise make it the same again... I do think I'll carbonate it a little higher next time, which is pretty much the biggest change I have planned. Well, other than not planning on adding any honey at the 2 week mark.

For warmer weather, I don't think you can go wrong with any pale ale type brew. Just make sure it has a good flavor profile and you'll be styling. :fro:

For reference, my pale ale/English IPA was:
11# UK 2 Row
1# British Crystal Malt I (45 SRM)
4oz Victory Malt
1oz Target (10.50% AA) 45 minute boil
1oz Fuggles (4% AA) 5 minute boil
1# honey (after two weeks in primary)
Wyeast Scottish Ale (#1728)

I messed up the mash, so my OG was 1.052, FG was 1.010... I'll probably use 10# UK 2 Row next time, and not plan to use the honey until tasting it afer 2-3 weeks...

It's really easy to drink that one, which is why I want to make it again. Tastes great too (don't most home brews though?)...

Back