Airlock Action

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pperrydawg

Reaction score
I've got my second brew in the fermenter right now. I am doing a Midwest Cologne Kolsch with the Wyeast Kolsch yeast. Quick question. My first brew was also a Kolsch from Northern Brewer with the Safale 05 Yeast. I have noticed that I'm getting a lot more airlock action (bubbles) this time around as opposed to with the dry yeast. Is this due to the yeast? I found out late in my first brew that I pretty much dropped the ball by going with the less expensive dry yeast. Anyway, the dry yeast batch seemed to calm down after just 2-3 days, while the Wyeast has been going strong for about 6 days now. Any thoughts? Thanks and Cheers!

fermentis dry yeasts tend to start quick then slowdown over a period of time
most liquid yeasts tend to start slow and speed up over a period of time.

when they finish isn't really a dry vs liquid thing.

Ok. That makes sense. I got a few off flavors from the dry yeast, but that could have easily just been the brewer and not the yeast. :)

I wanted to dry the Wyeast though to see how that turned out.

tom_gamer said:
Do they really call it Cologne Kolsch?

Kinda funny cause I was just in Köln, Germany (pronounced cologne) and apparently that's wear kolsch originated (or so we were told)

Domer said:
Kinda funny cause I was just in Köln, Germany (pronounced cologne) and apparently that's wear kolsch originated (or so we were told)

Actually that is why I that that was funny. Kölsch beer is from Köln. No joke. Lol

Back