WLP565: Saison I Yeast...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoradoXJ13

Reaction score
Has anyone used this strain successfully? First batch, I hit 50% attenuation, most recent, 63% after 2.5 weeks in the primary. The white labs website says it gets 65-85% attenuation, and several reviews say to ferment high. I pitched at about 75*F, and covered the carboy with about 5 t-shirts to keep it warm, it fermented at about 80*F according to the fermometer on the side of the carboy, has been at about 70-75*F since. I pitched a second yeast about a week in to try to get the FG lower but nothing happened...I culture my own yeast and pitched an absolute ton both times. Has always worked with other strains...usually get 75-80% attenuation...

recipe
Saison IPA

6 lb Rahr 2-Row
6 lb Marris Otter Floor Malt
1 lb CaraPils
1 lb Crystal 20L

Mash at 152*F for 1 hour, 1.5qt/lb. (add 5.25 gallons of 163*F water + ¼ tsp gypsum to grains), sparge twice with ~3.5 gallons of 170*F water, collected about 9 gallons preboil, boiled until down to ~7gallons then,

60 min, 30 min, 10 min, and 2 min additions (8oz total)
1 oz Centennial (10%)
1 oz Crystal (6%)

WLP565 Saison yeast (1L culture from lab, spun down and resuspended in 50mL YPD)

5/21 O.G. 1.071
Pitched at 10pm, airlock activity next morning, by 5/23 much activity
5/24 activity slowed, SG 1.026 (63% attenuation)
5/31 Pitched Mt. Sun IPA yeast…no activity at all after several days
6/7 SG 1.026 still…tastes fantastic

I just bottled mine(saison w/565) today, calculated the AA for you: 77%. Mine fermented at 70F first 2 days, and the rest(~2.5-3weeks) @ 72-74F. OG~1.069and FG~1.015. I think it tastes fantastic. You came up w/ the Saison Citron right?

Looking back it appears you did. My local asian market( I'm lucky to have one close but its new, not all the stuff I need) didn't have the lime leaves, and the other market is 45min away so I used lime zest and grapefruit zest in secondary. I'm obviously not sure how it compares, but mine is fantastic. That citrus flavor with the funky saison taste/aroma is great, really good idea in my opinion. I'll have to look back, but I think my grain bill was different than yours. But you really gave me the inspiration/idea, thanks so much for a great idea/recipe. Can't wait till its ready.

I did brew the Saison Citron with my brewbuddy, YeastInfection on this board, I combined two different recipes to make it, can't say I was the inventor, I did come up with the name though.

I really didn't get much lime flavor from the leaves though, it is definitely a beer I will make again, I love the flavors that come from that strain, just hating the attenuations I am getting out of it...

glad you enjoyed your version!

I've used it twice with no major trouble. The first one was a bit low attenuation (maybe about 70%). The second one was just awesome and finished down below 1.008 from 1.056, but it got a brett infect.

The saison in the middle I used some cultured yeast from an Ommegang brewery Hennepin bottle, and that stuff took off like a rocket. Never needed a blowoff though.

Back