My Kegerator - The Piano Bar!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picking up my FREE piano on monday... not excited about the move but pumped about having this in the living room!

Picking up a free piano today to start this project. Its amazing man. Question, what did you use to line the inside of the cold box on top of the insulation?

First off, yes, I saw the sticky titled "Show us your Kegerator" and I'm probably breaking some rules by putting this in its own thread but I'm way to proud of my accomplishment to have it lost in the bottom of a 5 year old thread. Second, this post is more of a thank you to everyone in this forum for guiding me to complete this project. Most people I ran this idea past told me I wouldn't finish. But with this community at my fingertips and sometimes searching through pages and pages of information, I was able to pull it off. SO THANK YOU ALL!!!

The idea for this keezer build came to me while I was trying to fall asleep one night last Fall. I had an old, out of tune piano taking up space in my house and I had the idea to use it for my recently acquired hobby of homebrewing. I did some googling and searching through this forum and couldn't find anyone that had done what I was about to do. While true that the final product is not exactly what I had in mind to begin with, it's pretty damn close.

So without further ado, I present, The Piano Bar:

IMG_1385.JPG

I was pretty bad about taking progress pictures but here are a few more to show the ins and outs of the project:

IMG_1175.JPG

IMG_1194.JPG

IMG_1196.JPG

IMG_1332.JPG

IMG_1345.JPG

IMG_1360.JPG

IMG_1372.JPG

IMG_1368.JPG

All-in-all, i worked on the project for about 4 months on and off. The most difficult part was removing the guts of the piano and building the cold box (so much calculations!). The mini fridge used is the third I went through. The first I busted the freon line. The second didn't work when i finally got it disassembled. The third was the most complicated to disassemble but ultimately worked.

I'm happy to answer any questions related to this build. I'm even more happy to receive suggestions for improvements from all of you smart people.

Once again, THANK YOU HOMEBREWTALK.COM MEMBERS!!!

Outstanding!
I was browsing through Instagram and saw a Piano Wine cabinet and thought to myself, I want to make a keezer out of a piano.
went on Craig's list and 12 hours later I drove 30 minutes to move a free piano, by myself. luckily i have a winch and some motorcycle ramps purchased with moving my current keezer in mind (think big long cheese graters.
so i got this sucker home and have been deciding how to go about it. keep the strings? keys? how to i get the chest freezer in there. of course the other issue is where I will put it in my 850sf little shack of a house ha ha! my current keezer lives on the patio.

I like how you just rebuilt the whole chill box.
I was thinking of just using a chest freezer with an insulated top extention box to keep lines as cool as possible.

I guess i need to tear the thing apart and see what I a up against.

You have me thinking more outside the box now.. Thanks (I think) ha ha!
here's what I have to start with. 1911 player piano but missing the player parts.

Piano 1.jpg
Piano 2.jpg
Piano 3.jpg

so i got this sucker home and have been deciding how to go about it. keep the strings? keys?

The keybed is very likely in a one piece tray. Maybe two screws near the corners where the legs are. Undo those and it should be able to lift and slide out.

Be careful around the strings! Especially if they're original. It'll take awhile, but loosen the tension on every last one before you go messing with the frame.

Those things are under lethal tension. I apologize for the slightly patronizing tone there, but I've heard horror stories from piano tuners over the years.

Removing the string frame will gain you decent space and save a lot of weight.

Once that's taken care of, everything else should be pretty easy to deal with.

Might be kinda cool to fit the taps into the roll area so you can close the doors and go into stealth mode. .

The keybed is very likely in a one piece tray. Maybe two screws near the corners where the legs are. Undo those and it should be able to lift and slide out.

Be careful around the strings! Especially if they're original. It'll take awhile, but loosen the tension on every last one before you go messing with the frame.

Those things are under lethal tension. I apologize for the slightly patronizing tone there, but I've heard horror stories from piano tuners over the years.

Removing the string frame will gain you decent space and save a lot of weight.

Once that's taken care of, everything else should be pretty easy to deal with.

Might be kinda cool to fit the taps into the roll area so you can close the doors and go into stealth mode. .

No apologies necessary! I prefer patronizing to putting my eyes out! ha ha. I was actually thinking something similar, the back plate is pretty sweet so i was thinking of recessing the taps inside for the stealth option, as you said. possibly leaving the keys in place with plexiglass cover to keep it from getting nasty from drips/spills.

I think this weekend will be an exploratory venture.

thanks for the tips

Back