Fermcap S vs Fermcap AT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hagelslag

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I could get Fermcap AT?

I recently purchased a 1 oz. bottle of Fermcap S because I read on here that it helps with boilovers. I make my starters directly in my flask and I've had several boilovers and I got sick of cleaning them up so I decided to order some.

I don't plan on putting it directly in my boil because I've never really had a issues there, but I have read a lot about putting silicone based products in beer and I would rather not. It seems the FDA has regulations on certain amounts and the fact that we don't filter our homebrew.

I saw that there is a newer product called Fermcap AT which is supposed to be better and completely remove itself. I just seems like a better alternative to me. Does anyone know where to get it? I've searched and all I seem to find is Fermcap S.

Here is a description of both:
FermCap AT is a unique emulsion of an extremely effective surface active agent Dimethylpolysiloxane which prevents foam formation by reducing surface tension. FermCap AT is classified as a "Process Aid" because of its novel feature of being completely removed from the beer under normal processing conditions. It is adsorbed onto the surface of the yeast, vessel walls and filter media.
Analytical techniques accurate to 0.005 ppm cannot detect FermCap AT in finished beer.

FermCap S is a unique emulsion of an extremely effective surface active agent Dimethylpolysiloxane which prevents foam formation by reducing surface tension. It is used to control foam in kettle and during fermentation. It is completely removed from the beer after fermentation by the yeast and filtration. As a result of preserving hydrophobic beer proteins in solution it actually improves beer foam retention in the finished beer.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back