Clarification on how to pitch onto an existing Yeast Cake - please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vast_reaction

Reaction score
Hi there, my first batch of beer is currently in primary fermentation, and in true obsessive form, I've got the next 5 or 6 batches planned. I am going to be racking my current batch into a secondary on Thursday 10/28. It used WLP039 - Nottingham as the yeast. My next brew would be fine with that also.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can I simply rack this batch into secondary, and pour the new batch of cooled wort directly onto the fresh yeast cake, right on the old brew's heels?

Yep, that's what I do. I have a cake of Wyeast London ESB on it's 5th batch using this method.

Wow. Awesome. Saved me seven bucks. Not sure if I'm up to the task of "Yeast Washing" per the stickied procedure, just due to space/material constraints, but this will work just fine. Thanks.

Any ideas how long you could hold on to a yeast cake between batches?

I ferment in a sanke and have a temp controlled kegerator dedicated to fermentation, so I can hold the keg and yeast cake at 68 degrees or whatever would be needed.

Assuming theres just a bit of beer left with the cake so it's not drying out, can I let it sit for 2 or 3 weeks at that temperature?

Look at yeast washing... you are wasting a ton of money by WAAAAAAY overpitching.

I don't believe in the whole racking on a yeast cake leading to negative consiquences idea...but why use a cake with enough yeast to pitch 10+ times on one batch?

Yeah, after looking at this for a while longer, I think I'll grab some mason jars and just give the yeast washing a shot. If I'm going to be saving 7 bucks, I might as well spend 10 now to save 50+ later. Or something.

*wanders away*

I say this every time somebody talks about pitching onto an entire yeast cake: Why go through the trouble and obsessive detail to pick out the perfect grain bill, perfect hop schedule, measuring, sanitization, and everything else just to treat your yeast like crap? Taking care of the microbiological details of your beer are far more important than every other aspect of brewing.

Don't do it, read more, learn how to wash, and pitch proper amounts. If you're not ready to take that next step, then at least dump some of the cake out before racking the new beer in.

The first thing I read about yeast washing was so convoluted and badly written that I waited two years before I got started. Then I read the sticky at the top of this section of the forum on "yeast washing illustrated," realized that I had all -ALL- of the stuff right down in the basement to do this, and it turned out to be so simple I don't even notice it any more......

I say this every time somebody talks about pitching onto an entire yeast cake: Why go through the trouble and obsessive detail to pick out the perfect grain bill, perfect hop schedule, measuring, sanitization, and everything else just to treat your yeast like crap? Taking care of the microbiological details of your beer are far more important than every other aspect of brewing.

Don't do it, read more, learn how to wash, and pitch proper amounts. If you're not ready to take that next step, then at least dump some of the cake out before racking the new beer in.

Truth, however it does make having enough yeast for a Barleywine pretty easy...

Back