third all grain big oatmeal foreign extra stout underway

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donjr721

Reaction score
Today is brew day once again. i did an amber ale last saturday, today is an oatmeal foreign extra stout, big grain bill (15 lbs) for 6 gallon batch. gonna be awesome. 3 step mash being used on this one. 120,140, 155 then fly sparge at 170.
Grain Bill:
10 lbs 2 row
1 lb Biscuit
1 lb crystal 60
1/2 lb Black Patent
1/2 lb roasted barley
2 lbs Flaked Oats

Hops
1 oz Centennial at first wort
1 oz Centennial at 45 minutes
1/2 oz Cascade at 30 minutes
1/2 oz Cascade at 15 minutes

1 whirlfloc tablet

US-05 Yeast

60 minute boil.

Please update this thread as the beer heads toward the finish line. I like Oatmeal Stout and I love FES.

i know i don't need to, but i racked to secondary yesterday, checked the gravity (down to 1.012 already, lower than the expected 1.018 according to brewtarget) which means the abv will be at or about 8%. i did taste it, nice creamy full bodied stout, just enough hop bitterness. gonna be truly amazing.

two weeks in the fermenter now and gravity holding at 1.012. i plan on bottling it this coming weekend. it may seem early, but 3 weeks has been the norm for all of my brews so far. i know, all 5, still a rookie. nothing bad yet. i am entering my first all grain baltic porter in the indiana brewer's cup. it is too good not to. the guys that had it said great things about it, i believe that it was the best beer i have drank to date, not cause i made it, but because it's that good. this stout is up there too, i can't wait to drink a finished bottle. i may enter it also. i think i may be a natural for this brewing stuff. i enjoy it way too much. i may have found my calling. it seems like the more complex a hobby, the more i enjoy it. i love doing things that require great detail, with vast complexity, and diversity. things that let your work speak for itself. this stout may be bette than the porter, i can't wait to find out.

i bottled this tonight. gravity still at 1.012 three weeks (minus a day). this stuff tastes great. can't wait til its carbed up. i can hold it up to a light and can't see through it, you can a little at the neck of a clear bottle. i always bottle some in clear bottles to see the yeast settle out and check color, sometimes i have to use clear because that might be all i have.

I just punched up the ingredients on my wish list and was surprised to see the all totaled only $30. This one is going on the to-do list.

yeah, this is gonna be an awesome brew for not a lot of cash. 8.2% abv i believe is what it calculated out to. its smooth and roasty.

hmmmm, I think I'll try this with some WLP005 British Ale that I washed from an Oatmeal Stout.

I've done this batch 3 times now. The last being the best by far. Instead of mashing the 1 lb of dark grains I steep them in a gallon of 150 degree water. Thus eliminated the bitterness that I got dinged on in the brewers cup

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

From what I have read, I guess you could possibly extract tannins from the dark grains during the mash causing astringency or unwanted bitterness. The last batch I steeped the grains which eliminated the mild astringent bitterness that wad in my last batch

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Back