Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made this one a few months ago. It was unbelievably good and just keeps getting better as it sits in the bottles.
Maybe the best recipe I've made yet?
Thanks a lot!

Had this in bottles for about 3 weeks now (so been drinking for a week after 2 weeks of bottle carbing), anyone find some pours are a real nice red and some are more brownish? Tastes great though, smooth malty taste, a tad sweet. Might be my first comp entry. :mug:

I've been watching this thread for a while and had to brew a batch, I love Irish Red's. My only changes were MO for the base malt, drop the honey and use WY1084. After a little adjusting for my system's typical numbers (but keeping the grain ratios the same) I came up with 1.058 OG, 20 IBU, 18 SRM, and 5.7 ABV (I wanted something a bit lighter on the alcohol). Mashed at 153.

Came pretty close to the targets... Mash pH was 5.3, final running's were at 1.011, and an OG of 1.056. It looked and smelled freaking fantastic. Can't wait to get it into the keg.

Lesson learned: A non-brewer-coors-light-drinking neighbor hung out for the brew day. He's hooked on this brewing stuff now. The problem was he really liked my 7.2% Saison... Maybe too much :) I think he made it home ok. He only had to wobble 4 houses down.

My first batch appears kind of dark brown when not under light, really need some light behind it to show up a nice deep red. Anyone tweak the recipe a little to make it lighter/more easily visible as red?

My first batch appears kind of dark brown when not under light, really need some light behind it to show up a nice deep red. Anyone tweak the recipe a little to make it lighter/more easily visible as red?

I got the same thing going, but to be honest, it's really nice. It's a deep, deep red that when illumanted looks absolutely gorgeous.

I'm having a pint right now:

3Vxpj92.jpg

My batch definitely looks red (flashlight through the carboy) but it's creating a lot of brewer impatience :) Should be ready to cold crash in the next few days, pics and taste report soon!

And there it is at kegging. Color is good, smell is wonderful, taste is good albeit flat at the moment. Cleared extremely well. A few points lower attenuation than I had expected, but nothing that bothers me.

EDIT: A few days later... Synopsis and review: FREAKIN YUMMY!!! Kudo's, high fives and thanks to the OP for posting, albeit slightly morphed, it's a fantastic recipe.

IrishRed.jpg

Just sent this recipe to the keg on Saturday. Only alteration to the original recipe was the sub of Vienna for Melanoiden Malt

Attachments

• red.jpg
    red.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 179
I made my first batch 3 years ago, and is still undoubtedly the house favorite. I sent out a "brew request" to my family for the upcoming holidays....... It was unanimous. Will be transferring the "Raging Red" to kegs tonight. :rock:

So, been in the keg for about a week now. Not sure if the honey had an effect on it, but I think next time I might add some flaked barley to give it better head/head retention, I get almost none...and it isn't cleanliness of my beer glasses....

@Biscuits, swapping Vienna for the Melanoiden most likely caused that. What mash schedule/temp did you use?

I've done two batches so far and they have turned out excellent.

No, Vienna doesn't "kill it". Melanoiden increases it. Even more than carapils. The sugar is going to thin it out some and if you mashed low (152 or less), you thin it out even more. Just throwing out some possible causes, or a combination of multiple causes.

Too cold to brew my normal 10G batch outside. Doing it on the stove today BIAB. First BIAB i've done in a few years. Excited to brew something as my stocks have been depleted. I'll post some followups on my brew day and experience. Thanks for the recipe MysticMead!

Brewed this today and went great. Hit all the numbers pretty much dead on. Had to alter the recipe to bring down the SRM very slightly. Also used MO for the 2 row and subbed crystal for fuggles.

Going into the fermenter a beautiful deep red and nice and clear. The Sample tasted amazing too. Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Will update with the finished product.

6OZWUTH.jpg

Brewed this Christmas eve and kegged last week. BIAB using a Newave. Nailed the OG and FG. Didn't turn out as red as I expected but the flavor is awesome! One of my best yet, thank you!

Attachments

• 20180117_144854.jpg
    20180117_144854.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 235
So after 3 weeks in the fermenter and a bit under 2 in the keg, I’ve just poured myself one from the tap.

Definitley one of my best beers, honestly better than our local brewers red IMO. Beautiful deep red and came out crystal clear.

Thanks Mystic, great recipe. Will be on a regular on the taps.

lsPaESv.jpg

H5cSFlU.jpg

On my 4th keg of this stuff. Absolutely an always on tap and the neighbors and brewing friends love it. Here's what I changed but it's still fan-fricken-tabulous:

Maris otter rather than domestic 2-row (MO is one that I buy and stock by the bag)
16 IBU's of Crystal at 60 mins
4 IBU's of Willamette at 10 mins
WY1084 Irish Ale yeast with starter.
Definitely prefer wildflower honey
Single infusion mash at 153
Whirlfloc (not sure if I need it, but it drops amazingly crystal damn clear within a week)
1.052 to 1.054 OG (higher ABV is not my priority, flavor, balance and enjoyment are)
Grain and honey ratios stay the same (obviously adjust for your own equipment, batch size and efficiency capabilities)

I entered this in a local competition and it got judged by a pro brewer (local) and it scored a very respectable 32.5. Very happy with it.

Wow, this came out gorgeous! OG came in at 1.056 (with no added honey). Just over 5 gallons into the fermenter, including the 1 liter starter. I had a little less than 1/2 ounce of Fuggles left over from an earlier ESB brew, so I threw it in at flameout - because ... hops! It's fermenting away at 65 degrees with Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast. I can't wait 'till this is kegged and carbonated.
20180219_145020_resized.jpg

Guys you have convinced me to get my dog Otis in on the act (picture comes later).
Brewed this beer as my 4th all-grain batch back in 2013 and didn't have any stock built up so drank it within 1 month of bottling.:no:
I remember it reminded me of Leffe Brune even though I used US-05.
Maybe that beer also has some caraaroma in it or malt combination that has a similar flavor?
Anyway next time I'll have a little more patience. The 150 bottles of other beer I have on stock at the moment will be a great help in that regard ;)

Last edited:
Hello,
I am new to brewing (successfully brewed a few batches using kits). I am excited to attempt this one and plan to buy materials later today...but I don’t see any instructions/guide of how to actually brew this.

Would anyone be willing to help me out with some basic instructions? I would REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks!,
Joe

Hello,
I am new to brewing (successfully brewed a few batches using kits). I am excited to attempt this one and plan to buy materials later today...but I don’t see any instructions/guide of how to actually brew this.

Would anyone be willing to help me out with some basic instructions? I would REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks!,
Joe
Sure, PM me and I’ll give you a hand.

Kegged this tonight with help from the cats. My LHBS doesn't carry CaraAroma so I subbed in 1 lb of 120L crystal and 0.5 lb of CaraRed. I ended up in the camp of "not so red", but it's still a pretty beer, and the hydrometer sample is pretty tasty. My efficiency's not so great so perhaps I'll make it again exactly the same way once I fix that and see if it affects the color.

OBHvRrU_d.jpg

LgEZVPJ_d.jpg

I just tapped this tonight. It came out great. Very clean taste with a good malt-forward profile. The extra Fuggles I threw in at flame-out is hardly noticeable.

The photo isn't great (used my monitor as a back-light in a relatively dark room). It's really a much richer red than this shows. I'm ready for St. Patrick's Day.

20180314_202740_HDR.jpg

I just finished burst carbing this beer last night. The beer is good, however I think it could be better. This isn't a slight to the Mysticmead or the recipe, just my own process. First, the beer came out with an OG of only 1.052 and it finished around 1.015. That was my fault due to my inaccurate profile in Beersmith. I still feel that the beer turned out good, but I do wish it had more malt character. I'm not sure if this is due to my low OG or if maybe I mashed too low? I do BIAB and mashed at 152. I also used Bru'n Water and went with the 'Amber Full' profile. I am very biased when it comes to my own beers and perhaps I'm just being too hard on myself, but if anyone has any insight on how to achieve more of a malt aroma or overall more malty character, I am all ears. Cheers!

IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0014.JPG

Last edited:
Kegged this tonight with help from the cats. My LHBS doesn't carry CaraAroma so I subbed in 1 lb of 120L crystal and 0.5 lb of CaraRed. I ended up in the camp of "not so red", but it's still a pretty beer, and the hydrometer sample is pretty tasty. My efficiency's not so great so perhaps I'll make it again exactly the same way once I fix that and see if it affects the color.

Poured the first fully drinkable glass out of the keg tonight. Still needs about a day or two more, but the color is much closer to red in a full glass. It's pretty tasty!

M6ngk0d.jpg

Awesome Recipe I'll be giving this a try soon, I've been making mead and cyser for over 20 years and just got into AG Brewing a few months ago got 5 batches under my belt and love it

So happy I joined this forum. Not only have I found a red to brew I’ve nevertheless even heard of cyser! Sounds delicious! I was planning on do a cider for this fall anyway!

Back