Adding Gelatin To Already Carbed Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willie247

Reaction score
Has anyone ever added gelatin to an already carbed keg? I have a very light ale I made for my BMC drinking friends and it's not as clear as I want it to be. It sat in the secondary for about 2 months and I kegged it and force carbonated it about 2 weeks ago. I wanted to add some gelatin to try and clear it a little more but don't know what will happen since it already carbed.

Thanks
Mike

Never done that. The carbonation shouldn't really make a difference though, but the temp could. I would warm the keg up for 1 week if you can. If its too cold perhaps the gelatin will fall to the bottom too quickly.

Also, my understanding is that gelatin will help yeast to precipitate out. However if you have chill haze (which is due to protiens) then it won't likely help.

I might be wrong about that though.

as long as you're pre-mixing the gelatine and adding the liquid, it shoudl work.

don't add it direct as the powdered gelatin will create nucleation sites for the CO2, and it'll rush outta solution.

Like, dropping a Mentos into a Diet Coke...

The carbonation shouldn't really make a difference though, but the temp could. I would warm the keg up for 1 week if you can. If its too cold perhaps the gelatin will fall to the bottom too quickly.

Actually, colder is better for gelatin. The beer should be 50°F or less for gelatin use. If it is warmer than that, the gelatin "will not react with the ferment" according to Noonan. My experience with gelatin was used at ~34°F and it cleared very well.

Also, my understanding is that gelatin will help yeast to precipitate out. However if you have chill haze (which is due to protiens) then it won't likely help.

I might be wrong about that though.

You are correct about that. Gelatin is a yeast fining since the "active ingredient" is collagen. Isinglass is another yeast fining that works more effectively and at warmer temperatures (up to 60°F). Chill haze can be precipitated out with PolyClar.

Actually, colder is better for gelatin. The beer should be 50°F or less for gelatin use. If it is warmer than that, the gelatin "will not react with the ferment" according to Noonan. My experience with gelatin was used at ~34°F and it cleared very well.

I did not know that. I actually stopped using gelatin a while ago. I use whirlfloc and my beer is always super clear so I haven't felt the need to add anything else.

Back