Westmalle Dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChshreCat

Reaction score
I can't get over how much I love this beer. How can I hate overly sweet beers, yet love how this one is like candy to me?

Indeed, it has been one of my favorite Belgians ever since I tried it for the first time a few months ago. It has a somewhat "acquired" taste... almost slightly "vegetative"... what I would describe as a faint "cactus" flavor (a much fainter version of what you taste in good tequila). And yes, one great thing is that it's not overly sweet like some cheaper "Belgians".

Unfortunately, the Westmalle tripel is not quite as distinctive in my opinion... more like a run-of-the-mill decent tripel.

Edit: just saw your thread on Orval... another I like... great taste buds apparently think alike. Orval has that earthy-sweaty flavor, but also some distant raisin-like tones underneath a dry finishing champagne exterior... along with the coarse head, a very primordial kind of sophistication imo. Not anything like a recent American "Belgian" I had which tasted like liquid raisin (it even had raisins on the label.... subtle! If anyone can tell me what that beer is please do since I forgot the name).

I like the Westmalle dubbel, but my favorite of the bunch is Rochefort 8.

Raisin Beer - Dogfish Head Raisin D'Etre or Lost Abbey Judgement Day?

Yes, I'm pretty sure it was the Lost Abbey Judgement Day. Good tasting, but totally unsubtle... which typically means I get tired of it fast.

I've heard a few people rave about Rochefort 8 and 10. I tried the 8 a few months ago and was a bit underwhelmed for some reason. I'll have to revisit it sometime.

Latest posts

Back