Have we lost our home brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hefftomology

Reaction score
Me and my friend were making a home brew from grain.

We got through everything fine, but i think we've just stumbled at the last hurdle.

We'd finished boiling the wort with hops and we let the mixture settle and cool a little. But it was still quite hot when we pitched the yeast in. There's been no activity in the beer really overnight.. So i'm guessing we killed the yeast. Could we still salvage the beer by adding yeast now?

Don't know even roughly how hot it was when you pitched, but you may have either pissed the yeast off or killed them.

+1 give it 72 hours. If you killed it, it will be possible to repitch at that point.

assuming dry yeast, just toss in another packet. it won't hurt anything. next time make sure you cool the wort down to pitching temps.

Yes, you can pitch new yeast. Preferably as soon as possible.

If the wort was above around 90*F (30*C) you will be better off if you repitch some new yeast. Above those temperatures most of the yeast will die off, and the few survivors will not be too happy.

If the wort was below 90*F then don't worry about it. The finished beer will have some off-flavours from the temperature at pitching, but the yeast will have survived just fine.

Back