Question about a Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hastur

Reaction score
So I'm brewing up Yuri's Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale tomorrow as a gift for my brother's 21st and had a question for anyone who has brewed a pumpkin ale. How much does using actual pumpkin add as opposed to simply using the spices? If I were to leave out the pumpkin, how much would I have to compensate for the loss of flavor by adding more spice or anything else? I'm brewing the extract version in a 2 gallon batch. Thanks in advance! :mug:

I have only brewed this once so I can't compare how it turns out with and without the pumpkin, however, I will say that i did notice the pumpkin beyond just the spice I added.

To me it gave the beer a noticeable vegetal mouthfeel and taste (in a good way) that I haven't experienced in any of my other beers.

It is a bit of a pain dealing with that pumpkin but I think it is worth it. Plus people are more impressed when you tell them you used actual pumpkin in making it :ban:

I'd definitely use the pumpkin. I made a terrific batch of pumpkin ale last fall that had 4 lbs of canned pumpkin in the mash. It added good flavor to the beer. I wouldn't just rely on spice, especially if you're using the store bought pre mix stuff

Use pumpkin. Please do or if not then please just do not call it pumpkin ale. I know many have made great pumpkin style beers with just spices but it's just plain wrong to call it pumpkin without any pumpkin actually in it.

I'm dying to do one as well as it's one of my favorite styles but I can't seem to find any pumpkin puree in stock and at this point I figure I'll just wait till late summer to take up the task again. But from the recipes I've seen it doesn't seem any harder to use real pumpkin. Spread it out on a baking sheet and bake I believe at 350 for 30 minutes or so and add to the boil. - That's just a general example from memory! You'll want to really read more than listen to that as I don't remember the specific recommendations. Just saying it doesn't seem much harder.

Unless of course the reason you're posting is finding a lack of pumpkin this time of year :)

Rev.

I didn't bake the pumpkin, just added it to the mash. I did mash in a bag though so I wouldn't have to deal with a big mess

I would use a butternut squash and spices to make a pumpkin ale. Butternut squashes are more closely related to the stuff in the can than your traditional orange pumpkin.

I made a pumpkin ale last fall and I used butternut squash. I chunked and baked it and added it to the boil in a paint strainer bag. I don't feel it contributes much at all. Maybe a little mouthfeel and a little abv. but you get the taste and aromas from whatever spices you add. But like someone else said, I think it impresses people when you tell them you used a vegetable in it.

One thing that I feel is more important is using the right amount of spices.

1st off IDC care if you are pro or con on the pumpkin but IMO it is not a pumpkin beer with out it. It is a sweet potato beer, or a butternut beer or a spiced beer.

I would toast at least 2 big cans of pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) for a 5 gallon batch. I was able to clearly taste the pumpkin as notes. This year I plan on the same recipe but with 3 large cans. DO NOT FORGET THE RICE HULLS!!!!!! or you will be inventing swear words...

1st off IDC care if you are pro or con on the pumpkin but IMO it is not a pumpkin beer with out it. It is a sweet potato beer, or a butternut beer or a spiced beer.

I would toast at least 2 big cans of pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) for a 5 gallon batch. I was able to clearly taste the pumpkin as notes. This year I plan on the same recipe but with 3 large cans. DO NOT FORGET THE RICE HULLS!!!!!! or you will be inventing swear words...

What brand of canned pumpkin do you buy? Libby's seems to be the gold standard and have '100% Pumpkin' on their label. They use a pumpkin very similar to the Dickinson variety whose scientific name is Cucurbita moschata, related to the squashes, rather than Cucurbita pepo which are the jack-o-lantern type pumpkins, zucchini, etc.

I would find it interesting to try beers made from a pepo type pumpkin, real or canned, brewed with the same spices of a butternut squash or Libby's canned pumpkin to see the differences.

rice hulls would be for all grain (just throwing that out there for the noobs)(ok i'm a noob too, but i knew that one) and yes, use the pumpkin. it doesn't contribute a lot to flavor (though it does have some, and baking it mabye more so). but it gives a great mouth feel. the kind you should expect from a pumpkin beer, thick and lingering. (if the beer tastes good you want it to linger).

Back