Recommend a rye beer recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bixter1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I love rye (bread and the booze) and wanted to try a rye beer. Want Im looking for is a rye beer that has some rye flavor to it with some hoppy aroma. Like a Rye IPA?? Does anyone know of a style or recipe that fits? Or if not point me in the right direction to come up with my own??

I've been eying up (it's actually on my brew list) the Rye Pale Ale kit from AHS. They have an IPA recipe as well.

I currently have a rye IPA on tap that will be my first AG recipe I post here in the database pending a successful re-brew. It is fantastic! Spicy, hoppy, and quite dangerous at almost 8% with no noticable alcohol. It's simple too!

Cit down and Ryed

11lbs. 2-row
2lbs. rye
.5lbs Victory
1 oz Citra at 60, 25, 5, and 0

Mash at 148 for 75 minutes

S-05 yeast, ferment at 64 for three weeks, then transfer onto another oz of Citra for a week. Then to bottle or keg.

If you try it let me know. The lack of a crystal malt is made up for by the perception of fruit from the hops. It's really quite quaffable(dangerous) for a beer this strong.

I think one of the best beers I ever made was Denny Conn's Rye IPA. I don't think he has it posted on this site, but I'm sure I found it through google or through his own site. I'm not home right now, but if you can't find it let me know- I have it on my home computer in Beersmith.

It was wonderful- spicy with rye, with the perfect malt balance and tons of hops.

If you are interested in a smaller beer, try my Bent Rod Rye. Best made with 5+ leftover hops. 1/4 oz of this, 1/2 oz of that. The tastiest batch I made had 7 hops, but less than 2 oz total. It's derivative from Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye.

I think one of the best beers I ever made was Denny Conn's Rye IPA. I don't think he has it posted on this site, but I'm sure I found it through google or through his own site. I'm not home right now, but if you can't find it let me know- I have it on my home computer in Beersmith.

It was wonderful- spicy with rye, with the perfect malt balance and tons of hops.

Sounds yummy. Im going to try it out. I found the recipe at
http://www.brew-monkey.com/recipes/html/connsryeipa.htm

Thanks Yall!

Yuri's hop bursted rye pale has become my house pale ale. The balance of the hops with the rye is simply amazing. I have brewed this something like 4 times and it just gets better every time I try it.

Back