Strike Temps. Beersmith = 161, Promash = 169

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have an igloo 10 gallon. I want to get 16# with 24qts to 150°mash in temp. The grain temp will be like 72°F.

I get two different values from each one.

I don't use either program but in my system with a 10g rubbermaid and 1.2q:lb 163 is what I would use to hit 150. The 161 would, therefore, seem much more reasonable than 169. Hopefully someone who uses either/both of those programs can shed some light on which parameters you need to tweek.

GT

I would go over instead of under. It is a lot easier to cool down the tun then to heat it up if you are using a cooler. Just either stir like crazy (if you are just a degree or too high) or add a few ice cubes and stir if you are more then 3 degrees high.

I use BeerSmith set to not account for equipment (5 gal igloo). I add like a half cup of hot water to the igloo when the water is at my target mash temp and put the lid on the cooler. That's my preheat. Then as soon as the rest of the water's up to temp, I add it in. Then add the grain. It always comes out perfect for me.

With your numbers, my Beersmith is telling me 161.5.

I also get 161.5. With my personal setup I get 10-11 degree drop, I simply add 10 to my desired mash temp unless its some huge beer or a really light one, then I use the software.

With those figures, Promash comes up with 160F.
If your version said 169F, then I would suspect you have the thermal mass of the MLT set to something > 0. See options->System Settings-> Mash System, Evaporation - Mash Tun Thermal Mass. It should be set to 0 if you preheat the MLT.
[Edit]
BeerSmith with the same parameters gives me 159.5F
[/Edit]

-a.

Back