Long Trail Double Bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtchuck

Reaction score
Visited the Long Trail Brewery today for lunch and "research". Ordered the sampler: Raspberry Wheat, Belgian White, Hef, L.T. Ale, IPA & Double Bag. The star was the Double Bag... described as an Altbier, 7.5 ABV, Ingredients: Ale malt, caramel malt, Chocolate malt, Northern Brewer, Willamette & Mt. Hood. I thought it was malty, smooth, sweet & "thick", with little hops bitterness / aroma.

I tried to create a clone recipe, based on the ingredients and came up w/ this:

Bag It
19-A Old Ale

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 255.29 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.076 (1.060 - 1.090)
Terminal Gravity: 1.019 (1.015 - 1.022)
Color: 19.5 (10.0 - 22.0)
Alcohol: 7.55% (6.0% - 9.0%)
Bitterness: 37.07 (30.0 - 60.0)

Ingredients:
13.5 lbs Pale Ale Malt
0.25 lbs American Chocolate Malt
1.0 lbs 2-Row Caramel Malt 80L
1.0 oz Northern Brewer (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
0.5 oz Willamette (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 min
0.5 oz Mt. Hood (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 ea Danstar Nottingham

I'm thinking a higher mash temp... maybe 154-155 to get the creamy mouth-feel and batch sparge.

Please critique. TIA

There should also be some malted wheat in there.

Right. Forgot that. How about this?

Original Gravity: 1.076 (1.060 - 1.090)
Terminal Gravity: 1.019 (1.015 - 1.022)
Color: 19.4 (10.0 - 22.0)
Alcohol: 7.57% (6.0% - 9.0%)
Bitterness: 37.07 (30.0 - 60.0)

Ingredients:
12.5 lbs Pale Ale Malt
0.25 lbs American Chocolate Malt
1.0 lbs Wheat Malt
1.0 lbs 2-Row Caramel Malt 80L
1.0 oz Northern Brewer (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
0.5 oz Willamette (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 min
0.5 oz Mt. Hood (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 ea Danstar Nottingham

Well it's funny because Longtrail calls it an Old Ale. BA calls it a Sticke Alt. FWIW If I were making an old ale (non German style) I'd say you are pretty close. If I were making an Alt I would go with Pilsener malt, and add some Munich as well.

I came up with the list of ingredients... minus the wheat... which I forgot...because they were listed for each beer on this card you get when you order the sampler.... reminded me of the "map" you get in a box of chocolates. Listed the style, ingredients, hops & ABV.

The website says Strong Ale... but the card said AltBier and it listed Willamette hops... which aren't on the website. The malt listed was 2-row... I just assumed ale malt.

I thought it tasted malty... more caramel sweet than roasted and with understated hops flavor & aroma.

Probably will go with the ale malt as I just bought 3 55# bags last week

Thanks for the feedback

And I was pleased with the results. Much as I remembered it... with some warm alcohol tones... will probably subside with further conditioning. I've gotta pick a bottle of Double Bag and do a side by side tasting

Well it's funny because Longtrail calls it an Old Ale. BA calls it a Sticke Alt. FWIW If I were making an old ale (non German style) I'd say you are pretty close. If I were making an Alt I would go with Pilsener malt, and add some Munich as well.

They recently changed the classification to American Strong
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/94/273/

Ah, Double Bag from Long Trail, perhaps my favorite "cold weather" brew. Love the beer, but am even more keen on the name, label, and innuendo implied.

Bumping this thread, drank one (commercial version) tonight, gotta finally get around to trying to brew this.
:drunk:

Back