SafLager S-23 temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HackInBlack

Reaction score
I am brewing a Dos Equis Lager clone for some friends of mine who love the stuff (I personally can't stand it). Anyway, I'm trying to recreate some of the apple cider/fruity taste of the beer and read that SafLager S-23 is fruitier tasting the warmer it ferments. Is this true? Does a warmer temp cause other unwanted flavors?

I was planning on fermenting the beer in the primary at 58 degrees for 2 weeks; racking to a secondary for a couple of months at 54 degrees; then bottling for about 6 weeks at 54 degrees or so. Would upping the temps give it that Dos Equis sweet flavor, or should I just leave it at the optimal (according to SafLager's website) 54 degrees the whole time? Thanks for any input to a noob who's never used SafLager yeast.

P.S. I wanted to use White Labs Mexican Lager yeast but couldn't get ahold of any in time to meet by brewing schedule. Oh, well. . .

I used it at 50 degrees and it worked great, had no fruity flavors when used at that temp. I can't talk to the temps that cause it to have fruity flavors but I would assume that if you kept it between 58-60 it would generate some esters.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll let it sit at 58 then drop it to 52-54 for lagering. That way there should be a hint of fruit/esters without being overwhelming.

It's been fermenting for 5 days now at 59 degrees. I took a gravity reading and tasted the sample. Seems very close to the Dos Equis - slightly fruity but not too much so. On track to turn out just like I wanted. A few more days at 59, then lagering for a month with the final temp at 38 degrees.

Back