diffusion stone storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HellBentBrewCo

Reaction score
Does anyone store their oxygenation stone in liquid/star san? I'm thinking about using a white labs vial with starsan solution in it so that I can just put the stone in it after I'm done using it. I drilled a hole in the cap and slide it on the tubing, put the stone in the vial and put the cap on. done and done. Any problems with leaving the stone in star san for extended periods of time?

I don't think its necessary, just boil it 15min before ea use and rinse it off well after use. or if your really concerned boil it before and after

After I use mine, I blow it out with oxygen for a minute as it sits in a bucket of starsan. I then use a sealable sandwich baggy, previously dipped in starsan, turned inside out to grab the stone and remove it from the hose so I'm not touching it. Turn the baggy inside out again to store a wet starsan soaked stone and seal up the baggy for the next use. Works perfectly so far.

I just soak it in starsan while I am boiling the wort. After I'm done, I keep running it in the starsan again. Then I shut off the pump, and put it in a ziploc bag but I don't seal it up. I want it to all dry out.

Boil the crap out of it. Blow it out. Then, store it in a small ziplock to keep new crud off. A quick boil right before use is sure bet to sanitize it throughout.

The options listed above will work fine... FWIW, though, commercial breweries tend to leave their O2/CO2 stones packed with sanitizer or soaking in a cleaning agent when not in use.

I have a long wand ;) ; so I have to store mine a little different. But, I boil for 15 min before/after each use.

Mine is in an inline fitting, so I just toss it in starsan, then hang the fitting to dry. I have done 15 batches this way. Been thinking about boiling it soon to clean it though.

I have not been taking care of mine other than making sure it's blowing when I put it in and out of the wort and then just dipping it in Star San and not covering.

I have had multiple re-occurring infections, I think it might be from the diffusion stone not being taken care of properly. I will replace and follow the steps here (boiling, storing covered in sanitized plastic baggy).

My god...Mine's on a wand, and it just sits in my parts box with all my other gear. I've never stored it in a baggie or wrapped in tinfoil. I just occasionally boil it. But I've used it for years with never storing it special.

My god...Mine's on a wand, and it just sits in my parts box with all my other gear. I've never stored it in a baggie or wrapped in tinfoil. I just occasionally boil it. But I've used it for years with never storing it special.

I also have the one that is attached to a wand. I rinse it off and set it on a shelf until brew time, then I boil it.

Same here. I just leave it hooked up to the o2 tank on a shelf in the garage. I soak it in star san before and after use and then run the o2 for a few seconds before I put it away. I probably will start covering it with a sanitized baggie.. that seems easy enough.

Back