Dry stout with wheat instead of Barley?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
Hi all. I have all the ingredients for a dry stout but no flaked barley. I do, however, have pale and chocolate wheat. What do you think would happen if I substituted pale wheat for the flaked barley? & perhaps a bit of chocolate wheat too?!

Say, for the grain bill 9 lbs maris otter, 1 lb roasted barley, 12 oz pale wheat, and 4 oz chocolate wheat?

Steve

The mouthfeel won't be quite the same, but your head retention will be great. Steer clear of the chocolate wheat if you want to approximate the dry stout style. It may impart too much of a characteristic flavor. Then again, if you're just experimenting, go for it!

Cool! I am after a dry stout a little bigger than the guidelines. I am not a fan of sweet or fruity stouts. I figure maybe the chocolate wheat might add an interesting additional roasty dimension...maybe?! IBU on this is likely to be 45 or so with an OG of 1.050.

Back