Please critique the timeline of my second batch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlg5039

Reaction score
OKay, so my first batch was an Oktoberfest Ale that I bottled a week ago. The second brew in the pipeline is a chocolate coffee stout, developed from an extract recipe I found on here.

Chocolate Coffee Stout

1lbs Caramel Crystal Malt Grain (10.0 SRM) 10%
1lbs Chocolate Malt Grain (350.0 SRM) 10%
6lbs DLE (17.5 SRM) 60%
2lbs Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) 20%

Steeped crushed specialty grains at 150-155 degrees for 30 minutes.

60 Minute Boil Time

1.00oz Simcoe hops @ 60 Minutes
2.00oz US Goldings @ 15 minutes
1.00oz Goldings East Kent for dry hopping

S-04 Yeast (I know a little odd now that I've read more)

I had an OG of 1.073.

So, It's been in the primary for 14 days now. I haven't peeked at it at all but my plan was to dry hop it today. Then, in a week, rack the beer to a secondary fermenter for 2 weeks. While In the secondary I can add either whole coffee beans or some cold-brewed coffee.

My questions are, does 7 days dry hopped in the primary, and 3 weeks total, sound adequate? And, will I get the coffee flavor I want adding whole coffee beans to the secondary?

Thanks in advance to the brew gods.

OKay, so my first batch was an Oktoberfest Ale that I bottled a week ago. The second brew in the pipeline is a chocolate coffee stout, developed from an extract recipe I found on here.

Chocolate Coffee Stout

1lbs Caramel Crystal Malt Grain (10.0 SRM) 10%
1lbs Chocolate Malt Grain (350.0 SRM) 10%
6lbs DLE (17.5 SRM) 60%
2lbs Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) 20%

Steeped crushed specialty grains at 150-155 degrees for 30 minutes.

60 Minute Boil Time

1.00oz Simcoe hops @ 60 Minutes
2.00oz US Goldings @ 15 minutes
1.00oz Goldings East Kent for dry hopping

S-04 Yeast (I know a little odd now that I've read more)

I had an OG of 1.073.

So, It's been in the primary for 14 days now. I haven't peeked at it at all but my plan was to dry hop it today. Then, in a week, rack the beer to a secondary fermenter for 2 weeks. While In the secondary I can add either whole coffee beans or some cold-brewed coffee.

My questions are, does 7 days dry hopped in the primary, and 3 weeks total, sound adequate? And, will I get the coffee flavor I want adding whole coffee beans to the secondary?

Thanks in advance to the brew gods.

Your gravity is quite high which means you may want to leave it in the secondary a little longer. I am not sure why you are dry hopping a stout, but to each his own. you will probably get the flavor you want, but maybe just leave it a bit longer in the secondary with the beans.

Back