Fermentation- 1st time using this yeast- need help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaj030201

Reaction score
So i made a beer and pitched some White Labs Zurich Lager Yeast (WLP885). If you are unfamiliar, this is a "platinum strain" and is apparently capable of 11%ABV. So i decided to push the limits.
The OG was 1.102 or so, with a predicted FG of 1.029. Problem is, after 6 days @ 54 degrees, the airlock is not bubbling and the gravity reading is 1.054

So i moved from primary into secondary, kept in the living room, and added some nutrient, and the bubbling has been going for a day now. Should i leave it at room temp or get it back to 54 degrees?

heres the recipe if interested: BeerTools.com Recipe Library - Zurich Imperial Stout

thanks!!!

How much of the yeast did you pitch? Just one vial or did you make a starter?

Did you aerate well? What is the recommended temperature range for this strain?

Regardless of the potential ABV for the strain a gravity that high requires certain special attention to enable the yeast to work. The potential is just that... potential. It takes into consideration the ideal circumstances for healthy yeast reproduction.

Not to mention lager yeasts are slower working. They work at cold temps but it is cold after all. You are not at your fastest in the cold are you? ;)

Don't give up hope yet.

How much of the yeast did you pitch? Just one vial or did you make a starter?

Did you aerate well? What is the recommended temperature range for this strain?

Regardless of the potential ABV for the strain a gravity that high requires certain special attention to enable the yeast to work. The potential is just that... potential. It takes into consideration the ideal circumstances for healthy yeast reproduction.

Not to mention lager yeasts are slower working. They work at cold temps but it is cold after all. You are not at your fastest in the cold are you? ;)

Don't give up hope yet.

thanks for the reply! i did make a starter, but it was a bit strange- it never really took, but the yeast cake probably doubled in size. anyways, i did aerate pretty well, and let fermentation begin before putting into the 54 degree fridge. the ideal range is 50-55 for this strain.
the question that remains then is: should i leave it at room temp for a few days or put it back into the 54 degree fridge?

No.

6 days ain't nothin' in the scheme of things considering
a) It is a lager
b) It is a really BIG lager
and
c) 6 days ain't much time overall for any beer.

It is going to take a long time anyway for this one. If it were an ale minimum of a month in the initial fermenter. With a lager I would say a couple of months.

Patience.

And for heaven's sake, but it back in the fridge! Do it so you don't shock the yeast, though, since it's at room temperature now. Slowly lower the temperature back to the correct fermenting temperature, and leave it there for at least another two weeks before you even think about it again.

well the only problem i had is that the airlock seemed to completely stop bubbling. thats why i pulled it out of the fridge to begin with. now that its bubbling again, i guess i will put it back in. thanks!!:mug:

airlock activity or lack thereof is not an accurate measure of fermentation. Yeast can still be active slowly (especially with lagers) without much active signs.

Back