Group Buy in Chicago #5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
starman said:
I'm back in the city so I've got plenty of Metra time to help beta something. Hopefully it's soon, I'm out of 2 row domestic.

Also, Neopol and I were discussing the possibility last pick up of a hop contract for 2013. The main advantage of this would be in order to secure some of the proprietary hops (Citra, Simcoe, Soriachi etc etc) in quantity at a competitive price. The minimum total contract is 88 lbs. Varieties can be mixed and matched in the 11lb or 44 lb boxes. In order to keep this from being a total zoo, people would have to go in for at least 4lbs for the year. As I understand it, we'd have to pay up front.

The deliveries could be spread out over the course of the year.

As of the last catalog everything but Amarillo was available for 2013. Thoughts/Interest?

I could definitely see myself Going in on 4 lbs of this or that, IF it's a hop that I could see brewing a lot with. I also hope to see some EKG somewhere to join in on

we just transferred about 3 and a half gallons of dopplebock that we did using decoction for the first time, it's malty as hell but under fermented, so we just racked it off the crap in the bottom and tossed in some nutrient. great way to get rid of extra munich.

starman said:
I'm back in the city so I've got plenty of Metra time to help beta something. Hopefully it's soon, I'm out of 2 row domestic.

Also, Neopol and I were discussing the possibility last pick up of a hop contract for 2013. The main advantage of this would be in order to secure some of the proprietary hops (Citra, Simcoe, Soriachi etc etc) in quantity at a competitive price. The minimum total contract is 88 lbs. Varieties can be mixed and matched in the 11lb or 44 lb boxes. In order to keep this from being a total zoo, people would have to go in for at least 4lbs for the year. As I understand it, we'd have to pay up front.

The deliveries could be spread out over the course of the year.

As of the last catalog everything but Amarillo was available for 2013. Thoughts/Interest?

I'd be in for 4 pounds of citra and Simcoe. Just let me know how much and when to send payment lol

I'd be in for 4 pounds of citra and Simcoe. Just let me know how much and when to send payment lol

Unfortunately I was looking at a cached version of the catalog. The current release shows Amarillo, citra, and simcoe are gone for 2013.

I'm in for four pounds if you do it.
Also need grain 4 sacks for sure

Yea. I wasn't able to attend though. did you get to go? Also, were there awards/prizes? And its supposed to be fist of goodness.

fist_phone-1.jpg

Yea. I wasn't able to attend though. did you get to go? Also, were there awards/prizes? And its supposed to be fist of goodness.

I did attend. Had 3 beers in the running, my blonde got a 37, my ipa didn't do well, but I knew that already. Best beer I ever brewed APT Barleywine, they didn't judge - skipped it entirely - still had the two bottles at the end of the competition. I drank it with a couple of the judges who said "yeah, you really got screwed". Fairly sure it would have went to BOS round at least.

I think 1st/2nd/3rd get ribbons which looked to be pretty big ribbons compared to the ones I have gotten for individual flights from babble brewoff. 1st place gets their beer brewed at Mickey Finns.

Anyway, the event was pretty cool, most of the usual suspects for a beer festival.

privateaero said:
I'd be interested in this group buy. When its the dead line?

There is no deadline currently since it hasn't started. Just follow this thread for a link to a new buy which will probably be in 4 weeks or so.

I fly back home on the 8th so there's no way I can make it. Next time.

I have to start brewing a lot this week. I signed up to participate in the milwaukee homebrew fest. I will be serving my beers to event goers. I'm going with my IPA for sure and a milk stout. Possibly two more.

Here is the link if anyone is interested: http://www.milwaukeehomebrewfest.com/

I have to start brewing a lot this week. I signed up to participate in the milwaukee homebrew fest. I will be serving my beers to event goers. I'm going with my IPA for sure and a milk stout. Possibly two more.

Here is the link if anyone is interested: http://www.milwaukeehomebrewfest.com/

Sweet, that looks like a very good time. You should brew a Fantastic Imperial Breakfast Stout (FIBS)

You should go

You know, after a few Vitus-Jr's ... I'm thinking you might be right. My beer might not be right, but a t-shirt and 39 kegs of good beer is easily worth the price of admission.

Paypal and the internet - you make getting in trouble sooooo easy.

Speaking of trouble... 128 oz/gal x 5 gal x 40 kegs / 250 attendants + 40 participants = :mug:

Well, I will be there. You get a tasting glass too. And.... its cheaper to participate then just go. You get TWO tickets to the event for $20 for the participant and $5 for the competition entry. Carpool?

:mug:= 142.2 oz per person or 11.85 beers/person=:ban:

and I just emptied my ferm chamber for my IPA (FTW) to go in... brewing that guy on thursday or friday. Then the milk stout after that sometime next week. GG

Got the confirmation email, bottled competition beers are due by 10/7. That's kind of tight!

The deadline is only for beers you are submitting to the main competition. Beers after that are only eligible for the ”fan favorite” contest.

just wanted to chime in that I'm going to try and take a stab at making a custom webapp for our bulk ordering needs in the future. am gonna play around with tomcat a little bit this weekend and hopefully have something usable by the next buy

opteek said:
just wanted to chime in that I'm going to try and take a stab at making a custom webapp for our bulk ordering needs in the future. am gonna play around with tomcat a little bit this weekend and hopefully have something usable by the next buy

That would be awesome. Thanks!

I am about half way through the build already. It is built in php with a MySQL backed. I can share the code if you would like.

Cart before the horse, but how feasible would it be to script the importing of prices? The distributor issues PDFs with embedded text fairly often. A one click update would be niiiiice.

That should not be too difficult, I would think an OCR program that can then spit out to a delimited file...I have acrobat full here I'll tinker with it tomorrow. **Updated**It appears that the pdf catalog is renderable text already...copy as table produces:::

5303 PilsenMalt 1.0 4.5 11.3 80.5 to100 5303 $0.65 $0.62 $0.61 $0.60 $0.59
5298 2‐RowBrewersMalt 1.8 4.0 12.0 80.5 to100 5298 $0.59 $0.56 $0.55 $0.54 $0.53
5305 Organic2‐RowBrewersMalt 1.8 4.0 12.0 80.5 to100 5305 $0.85 $0.82 $0.81 $0.80 $0.79
5294 6‐RowBrewersMalt 1.8 4.5 13.0 78.0 to100 5294 $0.57 $0.54 $0.53 $0.52 $0.51
5301 PaleAleMalt 3.5 4.0 11.7 80.0 to100 5301 $0.65 $0.62 $0.61 $0.60 $0.59
5317 WheatMalt,White 2.5 4.0 12.0 85.0 to50 5317 $0.63 $0.60 $0.59 $0.58 $0.57
5315 Wheat,RawWhite 2.0 12.0 10.0 80.0 to40 5315 $0.59 $0.56 $0.55 $0.54 $0.53
5323 WheatMalt,Red 2.3 4.0 13.0 81.0 to50 5323 $0.63 $0.60 $0.59 $0.58 $0.57
5004 Wheat,RedRaw 2.0 12.0 10.0 80.0 to40 5004 $0.59 $0.56 $0.55 $0.54 $0.53

**Side request...anyone have a good Barleywine recipe....something complex and spicey..

Leopold and ghotti, pm me your email address and I'll send the spreadsheet.

That should not be too difficult, I would think an OCR program

Yeah luckily its hilightable/embedded ... or whatever the term is.... I've used OCR on specs before and it was a good read. Not sure I'd trust it for 30 pages of pricing.

I was thinking a script that could read every page, dump the protein babble, and add the malt price tiers quicker than you can say bulk buy. Cart:horse

Not much of a category aficionado, what if any group do you guys think for a ryepa? 23A?
Its another batch of the same obnoxious 40% rye growler that was at Bills last pick up.

Maybe in a couple of weeks. I'm actually traveling right now and won't be back until Saturday. I need all of next week to get caught up, so I'm thinking the week after next.

I am also hoping that some of our fellow members can come up with an app to reduce, even eliminate errors during the buy process. I would be very grateful for that.

porterguy said:
Sorry, I would if I could. But that's definitely out of my league.

There are a couple of guys taking a stab at it. I'm not capable either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back