British Brown Ale Nut Brown AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this about 3 weeks ago and just racked it to the keg. I made a 2.5 gallon batch and screwed up and added a whole pound of oats during the mash (should have been a half pound). Sample finished at 1.015. Tasted good but was cloudy. Would the oats make it cloudy?

Brewed this about 3 weeks ago and just racked it to the keg. I made a 2.5 gallon batch and screwed up and added a whole pound of oats during the mash (should have been a half pound). Sample finished at 1.015. Tasted good but was cloudy. Would the oats make it cloudy?

Yes the oats will deff make it cloudy. Should have a nice mouthfeel with all those oats though. A couple weeks of cold conditioning will help the cloudiness

Just bottled this guy, and dang it's going to be good. My 3rd all grain batch. This one came out nearly crystal clear, though I added Irish Moss at flame out. Sat in the basement at about 65-67 degrees for primary and secondary.

I hit my OG, but only got it down to 1.014. Is that pretty typical that you'd finish a littler higher than expected? Any contributing issues that might cause that?

If you brewed this beer, what did you carb it to? I add 4oz of corn sugar to try and get it to 2.4 or so. Anyone find it better at a lower carb?

I can hardly wait for the week or two for it to be ready to drink. Cheers!

Just bottled this guy, and dang it's going to be good. My 3rd all grain batch. This one came out nearly crystal clear, though I added Irish Moss at flame out. Sat in the basement at about 65-67 degrees for primary and secondary.

I hit my OG, but only got it down to 1.014. Is that pretty typical that you'd finish a littler higher than expected? Any contributing issues that might cause that?

If you brewed this beer, what did you carb it to? I add 4oz of corn sugar to try and get it to 2.4 or so. Anyone find it better at a lower carb?

What temperature did you mash at? That would be the first culprit for a high FG. And what yeast?

I was a little underwhelmed the first time I brewed this but I'm thinking it's more my taste than the recipe itself.

I may try it again with a twist this time. Anyone tried using crushed/roasted pecans in the mash for this recipe??

I am looking to brew a 10 gallon batch of this soon and am wondering if someone could help me out with hop additions. I added everything to my brew software and came up with 3.25oz fuggle @ 60 minutes and 3oz EKG @ 15 minutes to reach 21.8 IBU. Is this correct?

I was looking at this recipe and printed it off. To my surprise I have brewed this recipe before. A co-worker gave it to me. The only difference was my addition of East Kent Goldings @ 10 min not 15 min. I must say I will brew this beer again.

I brewed this recipe(w/slight mods)in the fall and then invited guests wiped it out just before Xmas - some more time with this beer would have been nice but a 5 gallon keg only lasts so long when it's a popular brew. I think you're going to be happy with your carb level and I don't think 1.014 is that high - assuming your OG was in the vicinity of 1.054. I think this beer tastes quite like Samuel Smiths nut brown. Wait at least two weeks to crack one open. I'll wager the last beer of the batch you drink will be the best tasting. I will definitely brew this again.

I just found 3/4 of a keg of this beer in the basement. I checked my notes and I brewed it almost a year ago [emoji15]
I'll try it this weekend and let you know how it is...

Please do!

Pulled a couple of pints tonight. Almost a year in the keg has made this very smooth. A nice chocolate taste with a touch of fruitiness from the 1469 yeast I used. I may well put a couple of bottles into our local homebrew competition which is coming up!

Please do!

Pulled a couple of pints tonight. Almost a year in the keg has made this very smooth. A nice chocolate taste with a touch of fruitiness from the 1469 yeast I used. I may well put a couple of bottles into our local homebrew competition which is coming up!

Gave this one a whirl on Saturday. Using S-04 instead of Nottingham but did a 6-hour yeast starter to get things going. Looking forward to the result.

Everything went perfectly into the fermented tonight with the small exception of me dumping 4 oz of hops in at 60 minutes instead of 1 oz. by accident. I'll let you know how the Indian Brown is. Gonna rebrew this weekend.

Well I'm drinking my first pint of this. It was my first all-grain batch with my BIAB setup. Brew day went pretty well, I thought I was going to get a 75% efficiency but my boil off was actually higher than I guesstimated, so I got 5.1 gallons into the fermenter, although a 1.058 OG.

The LHBS I went to only stocks Wyeast and Mangrove Jack. So instead of Nottingham I went with M10 Workhorse. What's strange though is that it is supposedly a high attenuator, I measured after 2 weeks a 1.020 gravity. The sample tasted pretty decent though, so I cold crashed it and then kegged it.

I should probably try to find a few commercial nut brown's to compare this to, because although brown's aren't generally my beer of choice (actually thought I'd brew this and have it ready for when my dad visits), I'm not getting much in the way of caramel or nut flavor. I'm actually getting more of a fruity smell and flavor. However, that's not to say it's overpowering or even off tasting, that's just a bit more of the flavor I get. To be honest, this actually reminds me of a Newcastle, although more flavorful and not bland tasting :D

In any case I've seen many comments about how this ages well so I'll be interested to see how it tastes even in a couple weeks more.

Anyone ever make this with 1028?

This was the first recipe I chose to break in my new system on. Excellent brown ale recipe ( I really appreciate a good brown ale that's made to style with plenty of flavor and not too sweet), and I used Wyeast 1028 London Ale yeast. In my opinion this is a great yeast for this beer. Had an awesome nose/aroma and let the malt come through as well.

John

Brewed this up on Saturday and ended up with 6.6 Gallons of 1.049, which according to Beersmith with my system at 73% efficiency is 1 point off. The only problem is that the Notty took off a lot quicker than I expected and it was up at almost 71 degrees, trying to bring it down, hopefully it's not funky!

Brewed this up on Saturday and ended up with 6.6 Gallons of 1.049, which according to Beersmith with my system at 73% efficiency is 1 point off. The only problem is that the Notty took off a lot quicker than I expected and it was up at almost 71 degrees, trying to bring it down, hopefully it's not funky!

I re-brewed my Nut Brown over the weekend (only 1oz of Fuggles this time), and I'm kind of happy I screwed up the first batch because it let me observe first hand how fast and warm Notty takes off. Mine was up to 72F in a 66F room after a day.

My redo batch is sitting in the basement at 64F (internal) going full blowout, and I'll move upstairs once fermentation starts to decrease. Hopefully you don't any off flavors. I had a taste of my screwed up batch that got up to 72F, but the 4oz of bittering hops overpower any off flavors the yeast would have made.

I used the OP recipe. Letting this one chill out in secondary right now and might bottle after a month. Really looking forward to this one.

I posted earlier that I brewed this beer. I first have to say that this was my first 5gallon batch. Second I use a refractometer that reads only in brix, bought it so I would stop loosing so much beer from my 1 gallon batches. Mashed at 152 for 1 hour, batch sparged at 170 for 10 minutes. SG was 12.8. After a 1 hour boil I let it cool down in the kettle over night( I did not have a chiller at this time). OG was 15.6 and I picthed notty at 73 degrees. Fermintation took place in my closet for 2 weeks. FG was 7.0. Using a brix calculator ABV turn out to be 7.6. All my #s were high compared to brew targets software. But even at 7.6% it was a good beer that will be brewed again.
Brew targets #s
SG 11.6
OG 13.1
FG 2.7 not sure about this #
ABV 5.5

I did mine with 3.9 oz of corn sugar. Seemed low to me and no head. But when I brew it again I will do it just the same because it tasted very good

1 week in and it's down to 1.012, happy with that. I'll leave it another week before I keg it up. Had a little taste and like everyone else pointed out, even from the fermenter it's nice, no obvious off flavours from the high ferment, I've got high hopes now

Stopped at 1.016...oh well....kegged it today and it's sittin user 30psi of love.

After 51 hrs at 30psi...

I'm really surprised how good it is after only 2 weeks primary and 2 days of gas. I would not hesitate to serve it right now. I think I better get another batch going....

image.jpg

I brewed this in early September and it was the back up beer for my rehearsal dinner. Its probably one of the top five beers I've brewed. So yeah, I'm brewing it again today.

After 51 hrs at 30psi...

I'm really surprised how good it is after only 2 weeks primary and 2 days of gas. I would not hesitate to serve it right now. I think I better get another batch going....

8 days in the keg and it just keeps getting better. I think there is a little cloudiness left. Once this goes from a little muddy to crayola brown It's going to be something to brag about. For sure going into my normal rotation.

Supplies shipped today to make this doing a partial mash batch, I have a bit of a backlog in my brewing though so I will be busy for a while. :)

One week in the keg tomorrow....oh my, this is everything I wanted from a Nut Brown, nutty, chocolatey and smooth...I know it's going to be better in a few weeks but I can't keep my hands off it.

Sorry for the heavily filtered photo, took it from my instagram :)

VkroJKOv

After a few weeks of this in the keg, it's turned into one of the clearest beers I've made. It continues to be tasty too.

This brew is just one of several batches I am making for a large birthday party (about 50-75 people). I had a decent schedule for when to start each brew to finish in time for the party (April 30), but I messed up my first attempt at this brew (see my earlier post about accidentally adding 4 oz of 60 min hops). I had to rebrew later than I wanted and feel like this will not be optimal by the time of the party. I bottle carb and here is my schedule, below; does anyone here bottle and have feedback on this beer's development based on a similar timeline?

Brewed 3/12/16:
Primary for 2 Weeks at 62 ramped up to 68.
Cold crash for 3 days
Bottled 3/30/16:
Bottle carb for 4 Weeks @ 66F
Cold crash for 3 days
Party!

Is this too rushed of a schedule for this beer, or would anyone change the timing at this point (carb for 3 weeks, cold crash longer)? If this is going to be too young to drink, I have no problem buying beer for the party and enjoying this later next month, but I need to plan accordingly, and hoping some people out there have gone G2G this fast or faster with good results.

BTW, my initial taste results with bottling dregs was very watery and lacking any real roastiness. I know this develops with time, I'm just hoping I have enough time.

Back