Brewing in smaller batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerGrrrl

Reaction score
I wish I could brew everyday.

However, I feel like that would just be TOO much beer (for my apartment) using the five gallon recipies I have been making. I don't have enough bottles, money, or room to do that.
Does anyone here brew in smaller batches? I know they sell 3 gallon carboys, correct? Or would it be possible to just cut the recipies in half while still using the 5 gallon carboy?

You can't ferment 5 gallons in a 5 gallon Carboy but you could do a half batch in 1. I don't think I would secondary 2.5 gallons in one but you could for sure do a batch and just leave it in the carboy for the whole femination time.

You can primary 3 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy. As far as scaling down recipes, I would recommend you take a look at the Beersmith software. It has some good tools for scaling recipes and all over a bunch of good tools.

Of course you can downscale. I've been doing 2 gallon all-grain batches for a while and it's worked out well. I have a 3 gallon carboy, 14 qt kettle, 5-gallon coleman cooler for mashing, and two 1 gallon glass jugs for secondaries. I started small because of space constraints and the desire to use/repurpose equipment I had on hand rather than buying new stuff. The main advantages in my opinion are that the wort boils and cools faster, so your total brew time is a little faster, and stuff is easier to lift, move, and store. Main disadvantage in my opinion is, well, less beer.

If you already have the equipment for 5-gallon batches, you might think about getting together with some friends to share the work, the ingredient expenses, the storage space, and to compile empty bottles.

I brew 1.7 per 2 gallon carboy a week,which is perfect for having a constant variety pipeline going. Only fallback is the same amout of work for a less amount of beer but im not suppllying a constant party ofpeople either so it works for me plus some day i may run out of bottles unless i can drink as much as i make wich i havent had to much of a problem lately,ha.
I third the batch with no problem yeast hops all of it works out. I actually found some 2 gallon jars at a Pamida,which i found and didnt even know still etxisted,also noticed the same jars were sold with peanuts in them at a Farm n Fleet.There is also the Mr. beer carboy. Or you could use a few wine jugs.
They also sell 3 gallon carboys which you could just do 2.5 gallon batches in perfectly.

Latest posts

Back