Boiling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam's Apples

Reaction score
I have always assumed, I think stupidly now, that when you guys mentioned partial boils you meant that you boiled the wort in 3 gal water, for example, and then added 2 gal of unboiled tap water.

You don't mean that do you?!? :confused:

I now have a boil pot that will hold roughly ten gallons, so would I be better off boiling the wort in a 5 gallon batch (for a 5 gallon brew) so that I boil everything at once?

I previously have boiled all my water, but what I did was boil 2 gallons and stick it in the fermenter, before boiling the wort in 3 gallons and adding that on top... I have never been sure what difference diluting the wort made and simply went by some recipe instructions I have.

Does anyone recommend investing in some kind of aeration device as the water will have less oxygen? For my current brew, which is in secondary, I just shook the fermenter for 10 mins before pitching the yeast and the gravity has come down from 1.045 to 1.008. Can anyone explain what benefits I might see by aerating the wort with some other device, eg aquariam pump?

Cheers

That's DEEP stuff. Anyway, I too have a question on full boils versus partials. If I'm still using kits and I go with a full boil with a kit that calls for a partial boil, I won't have the same outcome as that of a partial? I have read to expect the more hoppiness. I don't understand. Were talking water here, not syrup. I just don't see how you can extract more bittering from the bittering hop addition at the start of a boil with 3 gallons as opposed to 5.

Latest posts

Back