English Mild Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardens355

Reaction score
Planning to brew this on this coming Saturday.

Paul's Afternoon Special Mild
Batch Size: 11.5 gal
Boil Size: 13.5 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Efficiency: 76%
Est SG: 1.038
Est SRM: 11
Est IBU: 21

Grains (single infusion @ 156F):
Maris Otter (3.5L) - 14 lbs 4 oz (89.1%)
Simpsons Dark Crystal (75L) - 1 lbs (6.3%)
Brown Malt (65L) - 8 oz (3.1%)
Pale Chocolate (200L) - 4 oz (1.6%)

Hops:
East Kent Goldings - 1.75 oz @ FWH
EKG - 1 oz @ 5 min

Yeast:
Wyeast 1318 (5.75 gal)
Wyeast 1968 (5.75 gal)

Rather amber than brown malt for mild. Also, 4oz dark invert syrup gives some caramel and dark fruit flavours. You want to get colour but avoid roast flavours (maybe a hint only). Yeast split sounds brilliant. Lots of milds use some simple sugars too.

Rather amber than brown malt for mild. Also, 4oz dark invert syrup gives some caramel and dark fruit flavours. You want to get colour but avoid roast flavours (maybe a hint only). Yeast split sounds brilliant. Lots of milds use some simple sugars too.

I have been considering replacing the 0.5 lbs brown malt with 0.75 lbs amber malt, as long as I can get over to the homebrew shop this week. I think the pale chocolate will not be too roasty since it is under 2% of the grainbill.

Actually, I just noticed, my local mild does have brown malt in it and it's absolutely brilliant (and underrated nowadays), so go ahead with some of that!
http://www.sabrain.com/beers/draught/cask-beers/dark

I'll munch on some amber and brown malt and decide which one I'd like to add. I already have brown malt, so that is more convenient. That Tetley's mild recipe is very interesting, and extremely dark. The 142F mash is super low. I bet I could make a 2-gallon batch of that on my stove-top to see how it would turn out.

Mild is a very fun open style... specially if you consider both pale and dark mild and not only the dark version. The historic stuff is just another world, like the Victorian imperial milds with OG around 1.100. Good luck and report back!

Back