cooling jockey box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsonbrew

Reaction score
I have read my things about the best way to cool down your jockey box. It seems to be good practice to keep the cold plate out of the melted water, not exactly sure why that is if everything is water tight but I will go with the suggestion. My question is this, if I am going to be camping for several days in warm temperature, does this sound like a good way to keep the beer that is flowing chilled.

1. place the cold plate on top of a block of ice
2. keep the block of ice and cold plate surrounded with crushed ice leaving the drain plug open in the cooler to allow melted water to drain.
3. keep the kegs in a large plastic bin with cool water to help regulate the temp around the kegs.
4. Enjoy homebrew on tap while camping.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

I have read my things about the best way to cool down your jockey box. It seems to be good practice to keep the cold plate out of the melted water, not exactly sure why that is if everything is water tight but I will go with the suggestion. My question is this, if I am going to be camping for several days in warm temperature, does this sound like a good way to keep the beer that is flowing chilled.

1. place the cold plate on top of a block of ice
2. keep the block of ice and cold plate surrounded with crushed ice leaving the drain plug open in the cooler to allow melted water to drain.
3. keep the kegs in a large plastic bin with cool water to help regulate the temp around the kegs.
4. Enjoy homebrew on tap while camping.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

I've read the same and question the same things. Your strategy is what I would do having read the same posts. I wish I had an answer as to why Ice cold water needs to be drained when using a cold plate and not when using a coil.

Back