Cam Locks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wino24

Reaction score
Hi all....can someone tell me what the difference is between the different types of cam locks ( ie. type A-F) and if they are interchangeable? Thanks

I'm researching Cam locks too.

My guess is that they have different cam profiles. Cams are in some ways like non-linear gears. At one point in the arc or path it will be high force output and low speed output, and at another point it will be low force and high speed. The shape of the cam determines the motion and force when sealing. It is unlikely that they are compatible.

Go to bargain fittings website and check them out. The different letters are for different fittings (e.g. Male pipe thread, female pipe threa, barbed, male cam, female cam...). They have pictures of all of them so you can see the differences.

I found this helpful for keeping my head straight when ordering the camlocks for my setup. From the Bargainfittings website...

Commom camlock setups.

Typical setup with Males on things like pumps/valves and females on hoses.

Hoses - Female camlock Style C on each end

Female camlock Style D + 1/2" NPT 90 elbow + 1/2 NPT x 1/2" hose barb fitting

Female camlock Style B + 1/2" NPT street elbow and streach the hose over the threads (some grind the threads off to make the hose easier to get on)

Pumps - Male camlock with 1/2" NPT thread (Style A or Style F)

Valves - Male camlock with 1/2" NPT thread - Style F

If you reverse this and put males on your hoses.

Hoses - Style E

Pumps and valves - Style B or Style D depending on if thread is male or female

Back