Universal Studios or Magic Kingdom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
We have two boys, ages 15 and 13. We will be in the Orlando area later this week and will have one day available that we can take them to an Orlando attraction. They have already been to Disneyland in California. At their ages, would they be likely to enjoy Universal Studios more than Disney World if we only have one day to spend there?

Of the two I'd go Universal - but honestly, I liked MGM quite a bit better than either one. Do they like rollercosters? Might want to consider Busch Gardens too

We just got back from taking our grandson(3) to Magic Kingdom. I've been to Universal and for the ages you list I would say that would be a better fit. More rides at Universal for that age group.

My kids say to go to either Disney Studios (which has Aerosmith's Rock n'Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror and Star Tours) at Walt Disney World, or to Universal Studio's Islands of Adventure. They loved everything we did, but for those ages the rides at those two places are top notch.

Islands of Adventure at Universal Studios is your best bet, especially for teenagers. It has the best roller coasters in Florida. I think the regular Universal Studios is boring. It has too many simulators. Islands of Adventure has a comic book theme to it and lots of roller coasters and teenage girls for them to gawk at. Perfect.

Yooper Chick said:
My kids say to go to either Disney Studios (which has Aerosmith's Rock n'Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror and Star Tours) at Walt Disney World

Isn't that MGM? Did they change the name? Those two rides are great, but they drastically reduced the show portion of Tower of Terror between the first and second times I went. Too bad, it's still cool, but just not AS cool.

That Aerosmith coster is really cool - it takes off so fast - it's amazing.

Michael Eisner == Satan

I loath everything to do with Disney, their oozing claws defile classics and childhood favorites. Course, with a one month old daughter and a wife that adores the Disney movies, I am sure I will be in my own personal hell for the next five years.

Universal is probably only a minor demon, go with the lesser evil.

Vermicous said:
Michael Eisner == Satan

I loath everything to do with Disney, their oozing claws defile classics and childhood favorites. Course, with a one month old daughter and a wife that adores the Disney movies, I am sure I will be in my own personal hell for the next five years.

Here's a book for you, and Hiassen is a fabulous writer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never been to Disney but Islands of Adventure was a great time. If you like coasters, this is the place. Also, the Jurassic Park and Dudley Do-Right log flume rides are really fun.

Well, we're back. Thank you all for your advice. We did go to Universal. Got one day 2 park passes. We spend most of the day at Islands of Adventure and a little bit at the original park. They seemed to have a good time (they'd better have liked it for all the money that place sucked out of me!); I thought Islands was better than the original park. I was impressed by how much prettier it is than our local theme park (Six Flags in Gurnery).

Me, personally? I had a lot better time the day before on my father-in-law's boat. That was a heckuva lot cheaper (all I had to do is spring for lunch at a nice seafood restaurant across from the cruise terminals).

Bottom line, though, is that the boys seemed happy with Universal.

Damn, I missed this thread originally! I was gonna say it's a no-brainer-Universal has a Margaritaville! And the Hemisphere Dancer is in permanent dry-dock there! If you go back, get the conch fritters. Yummy!

Back