Authentic berlinerweisse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asterix404

Reaction score
I figured I would post here what I have found out and hopefully remember for next time

The recipe is:

1oz halertauer (15)
3# wheat
3# pilsner

Brett B. and Lacto in a starter
German ale yeast 2 days into ferment from the fridge

strike water: 2 gallons @ 165 and I hit 150
sparge water: 3G @ 180 and I hit 165, this should have been about 185.

The boil was about 4g hit OG of 32GP

The temperatures were perfect though, 75 deg for 2 days with the Lacto and Brett B.
I moved the whole thing into a 64 degree room and put in the German ale yeast.

I am letting it sit for 21 days, adding 1.25c priming sugar into Belgian beer bottles letting it sit for about 2 weeks at room temp, so in the 70+ range, putting all the bottles in my chest freazer at 40 degrees for about 3 months.

With all of the yeast, I am going to wash the yeast and lacto with 1g of room temperature (previously boiled) water and recover about 1/4 -1/2g and pitch all that directly into the next batch of exactly the same. If it works... I will this whole thing a third time and keg it and use that same yeast mixture to then make a Flanders red.

I am doing the yeast wash because I read about pouring directly onto a yeast cake, in this case... is this the preferred method?

Back