My keg went flat, can I re-carbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamby

Reaction score
I had my beer perfect in the keg, but my temp was way to low and it froze. By the time I got everything back to normal the beer was flat, not sure why but o'well. Can I just bump up the pressure, let it set a couple of days to get the carbonation back? The keg is only about half full. Thanks for you help..

Thanks for the post. Do I need to do anything different since it's only half full?

Good deal. Maybe this is a good time to try force carbonation.

Good deal. Maybe this is a good time to try force carbonation.

I think everyone was assuming you were force carbonating. If you're naturally carbonating, yes, it will change things withmore headspace, but I'm not sure how to calculate it.

Sorry, I guess I should have stated how I carboniated the beer to start with. I put 12psi of pressure on the keg and let is sit for about about 10 days. Now I have it at 30 psi. Do I need to change this?

I put 12psi of pressure on the keg and let is sit for about about 10 days.

No, the problem is just terminology. This IS force carbonation, and probably the safest way of force carbonating. Putting it at 30 PSI is more of a gamble, leave it too long and you'll overcarbonate.

No, the problem is just terminology. This IS force carbonation, and probably the safest way of force carbonating. Putting it at 30 PSI is more of a gamble, leave it too long and you'll overcarbonate.

+1, you can just set it at 12psi again and let it sit for a week or so until ready. Some people swear by the 2 days at 30+ psi then serving pressure after that. I just wait.. gives the beer time to settle & age a bit anyway.

Back