I'm not fearing the foam ................. but

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamuraiSquirrel

Reaction score
So I have been brewing for awhile. I have been using iostar iodine sanitizer.

I got some star san for my last batch. I didn't fear the foam. I siphoned the beer from my kettle into my 6.5 gallon carboy full of star san foam. I only had about 5.5 gallons of beer to go into my 6.5 gallon carboy so a lot of foam was left in there. Don't worry I didn't fear it at all. It will be food for the yeast they say.

So my yeast took off and krausen rose (less than usual but you could see some evidence of it) and fell.

Its time to bottle now and I still have about about an eigth of an inch of very fine bubbles over the top of the surface........

I have never noticed this when using iostar. Is this left over star san? what happened to the yeast eating it?

So I have been brewing for awhile. I have been using iostar iodine sanitizer.

I got some star san for my last batch. I didn't fear the foam. I siphoned the beer from my kettle into my 6.5 gallon carboy full of star san foam. I only had about 5.5 gallons of beer to go into my 6.5 gallon carboy so a lot of foam was left in there. Don't worry I didn't fear it at all. It will be food for the yeast they say.

So my yeast took off and krausen rose (less than usual but you could see some evidence of it) and fell.

Its time to bottle now and I still have about about an eigth of an inch of very fine bubbles over the top of the surface........

I have never noticed this when using iostar. Is this left over star san? what happened to the yeast eating it?

Most likely no. You are likely seeing some leftover krausen/yeast rafts/small trapped CO2 bubbles.

Every fermentation is different and every yeast ferments differently. Ive made 5 different batches with US-05 and each has had a different level of foam to some degree when its time for kegging/bottling :cross:.

If your hydrometer readings are stable just go ahead and take all the beer out but leave the foamy bubbles behind. Who knows, they may even disappear as you start siphoning.

RDWHAHB

Yeah, I am not worried about it. It's just that I've done about 10 batches and have never noticed this before so I assumed it was the star san. Just thought I'd ask the star san users if they have noticed this.

I have no worries about it effecting my beer in any way.

It's not San star. It's krausen. Wait until all the krausen drops and the yeast flocculates. Then bottle.

It's not San star. It's krausen. Wait until all the krausen drops and the yeast flocculates. Then bottle.

This might be true ..............................

However, this is the longest lasting krausen I have ever had. Usually it falls after day 5 at the latest even on big beers. It's been two weeks.

Based on past experience and observation, I find it hard to believe that none of my bubbles are due to star san........

This might be true ..............................

However, this is the longest lasting krausen I have ever had. Usually it falls after day 5 at the latest even on big beers. It's been two weeks.

Based on past experience and observation, I find it hard to believe that none of my bubbles are due to star san........

Based on my experience of having used starsan for 3 years, I think it's krausen over starasan.

StarSan is only effective as a sanitizer as long as the pH is below 3. When the wort is added to the sanitizer, the pH is raised well out of the effective range and the solution is now metabolized by the yeast.

Soon after you racked your beer onto the starsan residue, it became yeast food and was eaten by the yeast. There is no starsan actually LEFT inside your carboy.

I have a wit beer that I pitched yeast on Dec. 26th, that STILL had a 2" krausen on it three weeks later. I took a grav reading and it had reached terminal gravity, 1.010. So it was finished, but the krausen was still there.

Alright .......... I guess I am wrong lol

I knew it was only a matter of time till Revvy chimed refuting my claim that star san was causing my bubbles.

I guess i will attibute it to perfect timing lol.

My first time using star san just happens to be the time I end up with fine little krausen bubbles on top of my beer.

Case closed.

it is unusual looking to say the least. I might have to post a pic of it so everyone does not think i am crazy for thinking it looks like star san bubbles.

I knew it was only a matter of time till Revvy chimed refuting my claim that star san was causing my bubbles.

Sorry.....

It's alway easier to swallow a good delusion than to accept a painful truth. For example I constantly tell myself that those "19 year old bisexual strippers" that send me messages on myspace actually did read my profile and really do think my 45 year old sorry ass is "hawt." I never write back, (I wouldn't want to deprive them of their fantasies) but simply bask in the glory of my uber-studliness...It keeps me warm at night while I sleep in my bed...alone. :D

Back