Brewing with cans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry08

Reaction score
I am not sure wether this is the right forum but here goes.

I have always used can kits. I often hear Coopers touted but there are others. Tooheys produces several types. The method is simple and the beer IS as good or better than the beer commercially available.

I posted my method in my post easy brew so I will not repeat. Even though it is cheap I would not bother if the end result was inferior.

It takes me a total of 2 1/2 hrs. all up to brew label and bottle 30 x 750ml's
Albeit a month between go and woe. As the wort mix is a dehydrated version of our major breweries that I guess is like instant water just add water. But it is formulated to produce consistant results. All I know is the fermentation is lively and finishes in 7 to 10 days and at that stage the beer is fairly clear albeit slightly green. After a further 2 weeks in a secondary the beer is crystal and even drinkable flat with ice (This is Australia after all). A further 3 weeks in the bottle produces a beer that immitates its commercial heritage.

Any of you who have stepped off a plane and gone into a bar for an Australian beer on tap and felt the cold beer freeze your teeth and quench your thirst would know what I am talking about. Untill you have had that experiance you would not know just how good a beer like Boag's, Cascade, Carlton or even Queenslands XXXX (4x) is. Hmm! there is even a redback(Black Widow) beer.

I originated in England and have sampled Germanies best but it does not come close. Fosters is not a good example and not readily available here.

Why would you want to make instant beer, clones of their mass produced counterparts? Kind takes the craft out of homebrewing? Although maybe I misread the OP.

To each their own I guess?:mug:

I'm not sure what the OP's intention is. This isn't the first time he's posted about making beer simply with can kits and how easy it is. Not sure if he's trying to get more people interested in brewing by starting out on this method, or if he's poking fun our expensive gadgets and long brew days.

First off I am not in any way trying to say anything about what appears to be a fantastic hobby for you all. Brewing beer for me is a means to an end. Believe me I respect your craft.

What I am trying to get across is how simple it can be and still produce a darn good result.
I read your replies as I was having a beer and thought I would add a picture. Obviously it's not smell or tasteavision so you have only my word. I brew to drink brewing is not one of my hobbies, I have other's. If I have affended anyone I apologise, it was not my intention.
I decant into a jug to keep what little sediment there is in the bottle. Why the wine glass. It tastes good in this kind of glass.

Dscf2913.jpg

I started with 'The Beer Machine'; Fairly similar. Dump in the dry mix, add water, agitate a little, pitch the yeast, seal and let go for about ten days for fermentation to stop, fridge to cold break/clarify and carbonate and enjoy!

It could be because I enjoy cooking, as well as projects, but currently brew extracts, have my own home made kegorator, 5 cornies and growing. Brewing isn't for everybody, and it certainly is cheaper to brew your own then buy commercial beer now a days (most of the kits I got were like 12-15 for about 3 US gallon yield).

Keep brewingTerry08 (Don't rag on the definition of brewing, there is fermentation...); I will brew and take pride in my beer as well (minimal blood and tears thus far, but it does get hot and sweaty). Cheers!

I can't wait for the day I get to step off a plane, that has just landed in Australia, go into a bar and drink a beer that makes my teeth feel like they just froze! :) LME/DME kits, AG, whatever, I think, as a new person to home brew, the key is making something that just tastes good to you. I think that is why I feel like I have just found the perfect hobby. I am so tired of the mass produced water beer here in the U.S., though many micro brews have arose in the recent years, it can't get any better than to say I made this beer the way I like it.

Actually we had a lot do just that they came for world youth day held a few months ago. Some 500,000. The authorities are still searching for over 100,000 that overstayed their visa's. One such visitor that was caught did blame his wish to stay on Australian beer. Me, I came for the weather and the girls, mind you I was a randy 21 year old then. Ahh! Bondi, Manly and Cronulla. Nearly killed myself trying to out do the locals in the surf.

Still one of those teeth freezing beers soon made one forget the aches and pains. There is nothing quite like lining up on a prospective target and bring a posible date in a wave spinning ride to the beach with you. I quickly found that girls looking to meet a guy would swim in the surf part of the beach and were good at avoiding those they were not interested in. I actually got collected by more girls by that ploy than any I was able to snag myself. Still any girl that could handle that surf was quite athletic. I never complained, although I did pretend injury for the right amount of sympathy. My English accent at the time helped, nothing like a poor injured pom to bring out the mother instinct in a girl.

Whats that got to do with brewing? It's a long story. Buy me a beer and I will tell you.

Hmm! That was 45 years ago there has been a lot of teeth freezing since.

Back