Hey! Thanks Veterans!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1.

When I was 18, there was talk of re-instituting the draft. My dad told me if they did that he was going to buy me a one-way train ticket to Canada. So I never joined the service. And I've been regretting it ever since. Thank you to all those who didn't listen to their dads.

x4 .... Thanks for keeping us free.

Bernie Brewer said:
+1.

When I was 18, there was talk of re-instituting the draft. My dad told me if they did that he was going to buy me a one-way train ticket to Canada. So I never joined the service. And I've been regretting it ever since. Thank you to all those who didn't listen to their dads.

Haha. When I was in HS you couldnt pay me to get into the service, but look at me now. Been in for almost 4 years and want to do more then 20. :D

My thanks as well.

Also, I'd like to thank those who are often ignored but are just as essential as the troops on the ground:

- the scientists and engineers who develop the technologies to keep the soldiers as safe as possible
- the doctors whose efforts keep injured soldiers alive and allow them to return to their families
- those diplomats who manage to solve conflicts without resorting to violence, keeping our troops at home.

Thanks Everyone!!!
9317-LG20Flag20Wave-6.gif

As a veteran, who is married to a veteran, who is the son of a veteran, who is the son-in-law of a veteran and who is a nephew of a veteran I want to say that it does mean a lot to hear a simple "Thanks".

My son and daughter's school put on a "Salute to our Veterans" show on Friday and it put tears in the eyes of my wife and I.

Again, Thank you!

Bryan

You know what's funny? Today is a Government holiday so my husband (who is not a veteran) is home. I (who am a veteran), however, had to work. He says he's staying home in my honor. Nice of him, huh? ;)

I got the same deal here, YooperBrew. That's alright though, I really enjoy my job... and my wife is enjoying the gym =)

Happy Belated Birthday to any other US Marines out there as well.
(10 November)

YooperBrew said:
You know what's funny? Today is a Government holiday so my husband (who is not a veteran) is home. I (who am a veteran), however, had to work. He says he's staying home in my honor. Nice of him, huh? ;)

Well, Yoops, I'm staying home today in your honor, too. And tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day......(I'm laid off;) )

It's the soldier, not the reporter who has given us
Freedom of the Press.
It's the soldier, not the poet, who has given us
Freedom of Speech.
It's the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the
Freedom to Demonstrate.
It's the soldier, not the lawyer, who has given us the
Right to a Fair Trial.
It's the soldier who salutes the flag, serves under the flag and
whose coffin is draped by the flag,
Who gives the protester the right to burn the flag.
~Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

Thank You to all the Veterans

Well, on behalf of all veterans out there- I'd like to say your all Very welcome, and thank you for taking the time to pause a moment and say thanks'. The positive regard of a nation gives it's service men and woman the fortitude needed to face the challenges of serving in a time of war- weather a popular one or not.
Semper Fidelis
SGT Oguss, USMC

I know we have a lot in the service here, some who have served overseas, some who haven't. Regardless I salute you all. My thanks to you for your service because I know this country and our lives wouldn't be the same without you.

THANK YOU!

:mug:

Ize

Bernie Brewer said:

When I turned 18 I registered for the draft. Got my draft card about 3 weeks later. about two months later (I'm an old fart, don't remember exactly) "they" suspended the draft in favor of an all volunteer force. I made the mistake of burning my now useless draft card at the dinner table in front of my dad, who served in combat in WWII. #1, I destroyed an important part of my history, something to show my grandkids. #2, I lost the small shred of respect my dad had for a snot nosed teenage man-kid.

Five years later (due to some government policies and world events) I was basically starving to death in a very small town. Unemployment was something 25 percent where I lived. I saw yet another commercial for the armed forces and something clicked in my head. Maybe it was because I was hungry and about to have to move back into my parents house, but having Uncle sam give me three hots and a cot sounded better than digging thru garbage cans and sleeping under a bridge (my home town didn't have a bridge) or worse yet, moving back home.

I joined the USAF, thinking I would stay the minimum, 4 years, and get out, find a job and press on. I ended up staying 21 years. Lived overseas for 14 years. Volunteered for and did not get sent to any combat situations (combat for the Air Force usually involves hotels with swimming pools)

I retired as a Master Sergeant. Somewhere along the line, I earned back a little respect from my dad.

Your Welcome
Paul V.
USAF, MSgt Ret.
1980-2001

fretman124 said:
Somewhere along the line, I earned back a little respect from my dad.

Your Welcome
Paul V.
USAF, MSgt Ret.
1980-2001

The weird thing was, my dad was a gunner's mate in the Coast Guard in the Korean War. He was very proud of his days in the service, but when it came to his sons joining the service, he was dead-set against it. Go figure.

Bernie Brewer said:
The weird thing was, my dad was a gunner's mate in the Coast Guard in the Korean War. He was very proud of his days in the service, but when it came to his sons joining the service, he was dead-set against it. Go figure.

My dad went to college, then when Viet Nam got going he was married so he joined the reserves since he didn't want to get shipped out with kids on the way.

I wanted to join the air force REALLY BADLY, but they were dead set against it. I wanted to be a pilot like you wouldn't believe, but they refused to even entertain the notion. I really shouldn't have listened to them.

Back