Cold Crash Primary? Worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
So I have a big party coming up Nov. 21st Pats vs Colts GO PATS!

So I plan on unveiling my trash can kegerator for this and have brewed in preparation, I will have an Octoberfest Ale, a Nut Brown, and a Graff ready to go in the kegerator, I will also have Apfelwein and Skeeter Pee ready in some growlers.

I just got to move the kegs from downstairs to upstairs so they won't get moved too much but I want to try to get them as sediment free as possible.

So every week leading up to it I will keg and carb a brew. Starting this Monday. I have no fridge so I do the ice bath method. Since I have the ice bath set up is it beneficial to put the primary in it for 24 hrs before I keg it?

If you are going to be moving kegs around and want clear beer I'd suggest cold crashing your fermentor, then fining with gelatin. You can then carefully siphon off clear beer and not have any sediment go into the kegs in the first place. Theres lots of good write ups on here about fining.

I have a question for some of you guys who keg also along the same lines. Since you can force carb the beer in kegs ( meaning the yeasts are no longer needed right?), do any of you use sulphites and sorbates to kill the yeast and drop it out of suspension.. then chill and or gelatin the beer so you take no sediment to your kegs?

Back