Priming sugar mixing it up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba_Mustafa

Reaction score
OK, getting ready to bottle my first tomorrow (and probably brew the following day again :D )

So its boil/simmer up the sugar, put in bottom of bottling bucket, siphon carboy to bottling bucket.

But do I stir it up? How long? Aren't i going to chance aerating the brew?

I'm figuring a nice slow stir (just before a vortex/whirlpool starts) for a minute or two?

(And has anyone found a source for the corn sugar that isn't a LHBS? I think thats one of the things that can be gotten at a better price elsewhere Though probably will go the DME route later on; works ok for bottling?)

I never stir, and I don't believe that boiled sugar water won't mix fine with beer if all you do is put it in the bottom and let the natural racking of the beer as it rises in your bucket mix it up. I have never had a problem with doing it that way. And I think that those who have bottling issues and THINK that is the cause are simply not giving their beer enough time to carb, not because 2 cups of fluid won't disperse evenly in 5 gallons of beer.

If you let the racking hose curve around the bottom of the bucket as the beer flows through it will begin swirling around, which will further integrate the two fluids.

Having said that, one thing you CAN do, if it makes you feel better is to pour half in the bottom of the bucket, then when the beer is half racked, add the remainder of the fluid.

I have a lot of tips to make bottling easy here- https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

Just remember, PATIENCE!!!

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up, and still need another 6 months to mellow out.

Have Fun :mug:

Thanks! I like the swirly idea.

I did look at your OP on that thread, and *really* like the bottling wand set up!
Also just picked up the bottle sanitizer.

(and is 'average gravity beer' a real number or relative? <grin> This is more joking around then a real Q. Seems big gravity is the norm here. ;) )

Also the priming sugar/hot water mix will be much hotter than the wort so it should mix in and not sit on the bottom of the bucket so it won't take much to diffuse that sugar throughout the beer.

I let my priming sugar cool quite a bit before adding it to my bucket and racking on it, but I don't stir either and use the swirl-from-the-house method. I might give it a gentle stir if I have to stop part way through for more than a couple minutes, but that's rare.

I think it takes A LOT of oxygen exposure to make beer taste like cardboard. I put the sugar in the carboy, and do mix it with a big spoon. Gentle stirring- not enough to break the surface of the beer. It's worked for me.

I don't usually stir. I put the sugar solution in the bucket, and just rack the beer on top of it. I used to think that the sugar wouldn't get mixed evenly, and tried stirring gently, but it didn't make any noticeable difference for me, so I gave up stirring.
Rather than using corn sugar(dextrose), you could use table sugar (sucrose). You will need a little less sucrose than dextrose (42/46 as much).
Palmer has a nomograph http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html for calculating the amount of priming sugar. You could also google priming sugar calculators but the results from these calculators do vary a bit.
As for stirring causing oxidation, it will add a bit of oxygen, and you may taste some off flavors if you leave it in the bottles for long enough (say over 1 year). This is the one instance in homebrewing where lack of patience is a virtue.

-a.

I've never had a problem just letting the whirlpool action from the hose curling around the bottom of the bucket. I only let mine cool in a shallow bath of cold water for the time it takes me to empty the no rinse sanitizer from the bottling bucket and open up the bucket the beer is in and get my auto syphon into position, then just dump in the primer and start the syphon.

Thanks again guys!
Just bottled up my first batch. Made a few mistakes along the way. (my new rule, no drinking beer while brewing until the 15 minute mark :) )

I did the swirly deal, no stirring, cooled the sugar mix to about 90F

Back