Empty Tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougan

Reaction score
My kegerator setup is outside in my detached garage. I live in Wisconsin, so, now that it is winter, I am unable to keg because it will freeze out there. I left my empty kegs and my 5# CO2 tank in the fridge out there.

Well I usually don't secondary but I'm doing a dry hop recipe so I decided I would purge my better bottle with CO2 before I racked the beer into it. I went outside and grabbed the CO2 tank and brought it up here and it was basically empty. I racked into the better bottle and then at least had enough CO2 to purge the headspace.

But I'm confused what happened. I had the CO2 tank filled pretty recently so clearly there was some sort of leak involved. I want to say that the valve on the tank itself was closed, but that's probably not true-- I didn't really pay attention when I used it. When I put it in there for the winter, I double checked just to make sure it wasn't releasing pressure and it wasn't. Anybody have any ideas what happened here? I'm not even sure it would be the cold weather-- it's warmer in that garage than outside and it seems that I left a bottle of beer in there which didn't explode. So it couldn't have gotten THAT cold in there...

I'm just surprised that it started leaking for no reason.

Back