Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Green Tea Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vamptrump

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 72F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
Dry light blonde ale with a nose and finish of green tea and slight citrus notes
11 lbs 8oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
4 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
1 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 20.0 min
1 teaspoon Irish Moss - Boil 15 min
6 oz Green Tea - @175F for 1 min (I used 4 oz Dragonwell and 2 oz Sencha Jade Reserve from Teavana)

Mash at 148F for 60 minutes. Carbonate normally.

My first batch of this beer came out very refreshing, but I was hoping for a little more honey flavor. Next time I brew I believe I'm going to double the Honey Malt and change from Centennial to Citra hops.

I didn't want to do a full hop boil, but wanted to gain a little bit of the bitterness, but ultimately was looking for citrus notes to pair with the green tea flavors which ended up being subtle.

The teas that were added had fruity sweetness to them. I did a mix to get complex flavors from Dragonwell, while getting sweetness from Sencha.

The beer came out very drinkable, almost dangerously drinkable. 2-3 weeks bottle conditioning were enough. I was aiming for Arizona Green Tea, but think I got something better than I was shooting for.

Great idea with the Citra hops. I'm probably going to attempt an extract version of this. I was wondering about the green tea. Is that a steep at 175 preboil? One minute seems like a short amount of time. Also, what kind of yeast did you use?

Thanks!

The green tea steep is after flame out. I started my wort chiller dropped it to range (to ensure I don't extract tannins) and then did the steep and resumed the drop. I did 1 minute because I didn't want the tea to over power the beer, if you want more flavor you can always steep longer.

I pitched US-05 dry yeast. Just rehydrated and pitched. Any neutral yeast will do the job. Just didn't want to get any extra yeast characters that would show.

I ended up taking several bottles to Dark Lord Day this year. I was thrilled that it was so well received.

Awesome recipe!! I tried it and the taste was spectacular everyone at my home loved it. I would love to make this again. Hey dear can you please share recipe for a yummy Green drink too?

Latest posts

Back