Canned Cider Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billcosby

Reaction score
I recently got a coopers microbrew set but thought I would have a burl at making some cider first. I used one of those cans, can't think of the name right now, that comes with the little sachets of nutrients and yeast.
Of course I set it all up a couple of days ago with the temperatue going from 15 overnight to 37 during the day so whilst running around trying to cool it and then warming it to keep a constant temperature I keep worrying about my baby.
I was wondering whether anyone else here has had experience with these pre made cider kits and how they turn out...
Also I am very intrigued that all you americans have gallon jugs of juice, that is ridiculous. Cheers, bros.

Insulating your fermenter is a good idea or you can place it in a large water bucket to help stabilize the temperature.

I've made cider from frozen concentrate, but not from a kit.

Gallon jugs are the container of choice for 'local' ciders. I get mine from an orchard halfway between my place and Portland. In season, they crush, press and fill glass jugs 16 hours a day. A #6 stopper fits the jug, so I can unscrew the top, tap in some nutrients and yeast, then plug in one of my airlocks.

I reuse the jugs for meads and other small batches.

I use litre tetra-packed apple juice... Gallon Jugs would be sweet...

Never done the coopers cider kit though, sorry.

Back