Pig organs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galek

Reaction score
I plan on buying a half pig for the first time. Farmer says I can have any organs or such that I want at little to no extra cost. Any input on what I should get? Never cooked any organs, so looking for what would be the "starter organs".

Planning on at least the tongue.

Anyone have any other things I should ask for? I plan on asking for neck and soup bones, and the fat to be able to render down.

Thanks for the help,

Not big on organ meat unless fresh, fresh but I would take the tongue and heart at least and I would ask for the trotters, not 100% what I would do with them but something would happen;)

Unless you want to spend time and effort making specialty sausages like Liverwurst, skip it.

Never had pig heart, but pickled venison heart was well received by some members of my family when my grandma used to can it. I don't really recall ever trying it.

You might want the fat, though. You can make soap out of it, and cook with it.

Get the blood and make fritada. Blood soup. It's not for everyone but it is delicious for those who do like it.

Thank you all. Will stick with just the heart and tongue. Maybe get blood and liver next year if I feel a little more adventurous.

How about the jowls? If you aren't already planning on it, I'd suggest getting those to make some guanciale.

+1 on the jowls! Make jowl bacon with it!

I'd pass on any internal organs. The tongue isn't really an organ though and beef tongue is actually REALLY tasty. The heart I must confess I have never had pig heart. Its muscle so why not. Liver, intestines, kidneys, and other pieces.. well, I would say no thanks....

I once had some deli sandwich recommended to me by a friend who was a foodie and familiar with the particular deli he ordered our dinner from so I knew he wouldn't steer me wrong. I went out on a limb and got a tongue/headcheese/one other "weird to me" meat combo sandwich off the menu on his dime, and it was one of the best sandwiches I've ever had....

Properly cleaned and cooked, intestines and stomach are delicious. Blood's alright congealed and boiled in a flavorful soup. I'm not a huge fan of the liver, but it can be done acceptably as well.

Alright this is a bit too much for a first time buyer. I will stick with tongue and heart. Jowls sound good but bacon making seems intense. At least for something I have not done before, it maybe simple but I will get overwhelmed for the first time. I ordered the pig already and farmer said he would call end of next week for specific cuts which means I need to think about this for a whole nother week. hate having time to think about things, just makes me scrutinize and agonize for a longer period of time and continue with the plan I set in place at the outset.

Also wife says I ramble when I have been drinking. mayb this should be moved to another thread

Take the snout too, I've heard that's awesome. My dad is a big fan of pickled ears and hooves, but he'll eat anything pickled. Frankly, I think he's part cow; he's gotta have at least 4 stomachs. You can cook the whole head and the meat is good but the brains are an.... acquired... taste. The cheeks should be absolutely delicious and tender, maybe the best cut on the whole hog. You could try making a haggis with the stomach, and the liver probably has decent value too. Ditto for the heart. Skip the guts and lungs

Back