Can't add Fawcett Pearl into beersmith?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjm13

Reaction score
I can't seem to add this grain into beersmith. I plugged in the "thomas fawcett 14 grains" add on and it's not there. I was trying to do a manual add, but I can't find all the specs. It's not even listed on the Thomas Fawcett website. Am I going crazy, or is this an issue for others as well?
thanks.

Try here:
http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/ingredients/malts/tf-pearl-malt/

Your right that it's missing from the TF website. This could be for a number of reasons, like they had to rename it, or it isn't being produced. Pale malts are in a state of change where newer, characterful single varieties are being offered. Like any new product that's not popular, it'll get discontinued or rebranded.

Try here:

http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/ingredients/malts/tf-pearl-malt/

Your right that it's missing from the TF website. This could be for a number of reasons, like they had to rename it, or it isn't being produced. Pale malts are in a state of change where newer, characterful single varieties are being offered. Like any new product that's not popular, it'll get discontinued or rebranded.

Thanks for the link, but it doesn't look like it has everything I need. When manually entering a grain in BS it asks for potential SG, yield %, corse fine difference, and diastatic power/lintner. Do you know where I can find that info for this malt?
Thanks!!

Thanks for the link, but it doesn't look like it has everything I need. When manually entering a grain in BS it asks for potential SG, yield %, corse fine difference, and diastatic power/lintner. Do you know where I can find that info for this malt?
Thanks!!

Yup. A lot analysis sheet.

SG and yield are the same thing. Changing one value recalculates the other. Typically, dry, fine grind is used. I've found that using the as-is, fine grind value to be more reliable in my brewing. It gives me a more real world number to base my efficiency from.

The bag should have a lot number on it. You can email TF and ask for the analysis sheet. TF is one of the maltsters that don't really publish their target specs. The last analysis I got is a couple of years old.

Here's what I use for Pearl:

Color: 2.1 l
Yield: 81%
C/F Diff: 1.1%
Moisture: 3.5%
Diastatic: 70 L
Soluble Protein: 5.3%

Latest posts

Back