nottingham yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idkid

Reaction score
I'm thinking of taking the plunge and making a batch of mead. However, all I have around is a package of Nottingham's. Anyone know how dry this will take it (in other words, how long this yeast takes to poop out in honey). I made Ed's Apfelwein with Champagne yeast and it was way too dry for me. I want something that leaves some residuals for sweetness. Or should I just keep adding honey eventually until the Nottingham's decides to poop out.

I haven't used it for mead, i would never do that. I have used it for my first couple of stouts. It does ferment a 1.080 gravity beer to 1.020 in only four days. But just because its fast does not mean that it is good. It produced a lot of phenols in the stouts, even when fermenting at 65 fahrenheit. Don't use it just because it is lying around. I know you want to get your mead going but take a fraction of your time and get some actual wine yeast. If you want it sweet you're either going to have to add some sugar back into the mead after you've killed off the yeast or make a high gravity mead. Use some yeast that is low attenuation because nottingham is for one not for mead, and attenuates high. Use some Lalvin D-47 or RC 212 if you really want it sweet. You should be happy having a O.G. of 1.100 to 1.120. Apple Wine is only 7-9% and has a low final gravity. Honey will by itself have a higher final gravity. Not every bit of it will ferment.

Latest posts

Back