Silly wife

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmett

Reaction score
I like to brew 2 batches at a time. I have 2 5G brew pots and like to boil 4.5G or as much wort as I can without boiling over, which means I boil over from time to time trying to work 2 batches at once topped up as high as I can.

My wife just gave me 2 85 QT (8.75G) brew pots so I can still make my 2 batches and have plenty of room in the pot so I don't boil over, makes sense right?

I now realize I can boil 6 5G batches at one time. I'll use the 2 old pots plus I boil about 8G in each new pot and split once I move to the primary, I'll need to top off about a gallon in each, but that's no problem.

Why does she keep saying that I'm missing the point?

I like to brew 2 batches at a time. I have 2 5G brew pots and like to boil 4.5G or as much wort as I can without boiling over, which means I boil over from time to time trying to work 2 batches at once topped up as high as I can.

My wife just gave me 2 85 QT (8.75G) brew pots so I can still make my 2 batches and have plenty of room in the pot so I don't boil over, makes sense right?

I now realize I can boil 6 5G batches at one time. I'll use the 2 old pots plus I boil about 8G in each new pot and split once I move to the primary, I'll need to top off about a gallon in each, but that's no problem.

85qt pots are 21.25 gal.

Anyway, would 2 5gal and 2 8.75gal pots fit on your stove? That would be impressive.

Also, by topping off you are lowering the quality of your beer, use the larger pots to do a full boil and you will be well rewarded.

i think the point is...

that you are getting fermenters for x-mas...:mug: :tank:

You are correct, they are 35 QT brew pots not 85. sorry for the misprint.

"Anyway, would 2 5gal and 2 8.75gal pots fit on your stove? That would be impressive."

Thanks, but we do. 3 years ago I bought the wife a Wolf range, it's awesome. 6 burners 10,000 BTU output on each. Griddle in the middle. I'd post a pic, but I can't figure out how.

As far as cooling, being in Ohio I just stick 'em out in the snow.

In the past I used a wort chiller, after a while I was getting some funky beers couldn't figure out where but messed up 5-6 brews. Stopped using the chiller and no problems since. I don't recommend them to anyone, cover your wort and don't let anything touch it. That's what I do.

Sounds like you have this all under control. I'd have to say that she is missing the point now. 4 beers at once is alot going on. I applaud you sir!

You are correct, they are 35 QT brew pots not 85. sorry for the misprint.

"Anyway, would 2 5gal and 2 8.75gal pots fit on your stove? That would be impressive."

Thanks, but we do. 3 years ago I bought the wife a Wolf range, it's awesome. 6 burners 10,000 BTU output on each. Griddle in the middle. I'd post a pic, but I can't figure out how.

As far as cooling, being in Ohio I just stick 'em out in the snow.

In the past I used a wort chiller, after a while I was getting some funky beers couldn't figure out where but messed up 5-6 brews. Stopped using the chiller and no problems since. I don't recommend them to anyone, cover your wort and don't let anything touch it. That's what I do.

Were you putting the chiller in the pot for the last 15 min to kill anything that might have been on it?

Oh, and that sounds like one hell of a stove, I'm a little jelous!:mug:

Were you putting the chiller in the pot for the last 15 min to kill anything that might have been on it?

Yeah always did, and when I was scratching my head trying to figure out what was going wrong, I cleaned the hell out of it. Bleach bath, Starsan, etc, etc. Best I can figure is I have well water that has a higher iron content and it was reacting with the copper in the chiller???

I really don't know and I'm not smart enough to figure it out, I stick with the brew it and DON'T TOUCH IT method and no worries.

I just wonder why anyone would brew that much at once, unless going commercial? I'd rather brew an entire batch and get it fermenting, then use what I learned from that - OG vs target OG, efficiency, etc and maybe modify the recipe a bit and brew again a few days later. Frequent brewing=more fun.

I have enough trouble staying sober for one. I'd burn the damn house down with six going. I want to see your bottle storage/ keg room.

Back