Blueberry Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewVol

Reaction score
I'm not much for fruit beers, with the exception of Sweetwater Blue. I love the mildness of it, and the refreshing aftertaste. That being said I'm thinking of brewing up something similar. After consulting with a Brewer friend he told to just brew up a blonde, and add blueberries at secondary. The thing is, I don't want my beer to turn purple. I know that I can achieve this by using Blueberry Extract at bottling, but am concerned about over doing it.

My question is, I've seen some say to use a bit more than 2oz of extract at bottling, does this seem like it would work? We're talking 5 gallon batch here.

I'll be brewing Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde (AG), and adding the extract at bottling. How much? What say you?

I'll be brewing Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde (AG), and adding the extract at bottling. How much? What say you?

The beauty of adding extract at the end is that you can add different amounts to different bottles. If you have an eyedropper (that's safe to use with food) or syringe (likewise!), then you can measure out a *precise* number of mL/drops per bottle and experiment which concentration made the best beer. Just keep good records, and you should have your own answer in a month or so. :)

You can add it to taste at bottling but I would rather add things to taste to finished (carbonated) beer.

I would brew up the blond and add the extract to the glass. Upsides - you can figure out how much you like via trial and error over several glasses and you also have plain blond ale. Next time you brew it you know exactly how much to add to 5 gallons and can do it at bottling.

Downside, you can't really give somebody one to take home or enter it into a competition.

Well Im a fan of a local micro brew(Rohrbachs) Blueberry Wheat so my last batch I did was a American Wheat. I added around 3 1/2 oz. or so of blueberry extract to my secondary and at bottling I saved a small sample and cant say as that I picked up much blueberry flavor but Im hoping with a few weeks aging the flavor comes out.

I'm not much for fruit beers, with the exception of Sweetwater Blue. I love the mildness of it, and the refreshing aftertaste. That being said I'm thinking of brewing up something similar. After consulting with a Brewer friend he told to just brew up a blonde, and add blueberries at secondary. The thing is, I don't want my beer to turn purple. I know that I can achieve this by using Blueberry Extract at bottling, but am concerned about over doing it.

My question is, I've seen some say to use a bit more than 2oz of extract at bottling, does this seem like it would work? We're talking 5 gallon batch here.

If you get a good recipe please post it, I love SweetWater Blue.

Back