Bottling after 9 months in a barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultra_cas

Reaction score
We have a whiskey barrel full of imperial stout, and another full of belgian dubbel, these are the 54 gallon barrels. The oldest has been in the barrel since June. They are at basement temps, around 65 or so, pretty constant.

Our plan is to transfer 10 gallons at a time to our bottling bucket with priming sugar and bottle. Wondering what others have done as far as the potential need to add additional yeast, or would there still be enough in suspension to carbonate the bottles? I will be putting 5 gallons in a keg.

Would definitely add more yeast at bottling. When I do lagers that sit for 3 months I add 1/4 of a pack of dry yeast to the bottling bucket to insure there will be carbonation, and that's for 5 gallons. Better being safe then sorry, would be a bummer if after 9 months in the barrel and time in the bottle only to have it be flat.

our homebrew club bottled 5 barrels, 10 gallons at a time (actually 2x5 gallons at a time)

took a couple hours.

I can't remember if we added yeast, pretty sure we did

I used CBC-1 in my 15% pumpkin barleywine after it bulk-conditioned for 6 months. not sure I needed it, but GrogNerd's #1 rule is:
it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Back