2 batches in one day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgrier

Reaction score
I need to fill the beer pipeline for a couple of events that are coming up very quickly.

I am going to attempt to brew 2 10 gallon batches in one day.

I have 2 burners... and 2 pots... 1. 15 gal (my main brew pot) and a 5 gal.

I might have to boil 2 batches of water for my sparge and such on my 2nd batch.

Anyway.. anyone else do this? ... or can offer any advice?

I have your typical 10gal mash tun (igloo drink cooler) and do all grain.
2500044333_373e694384_b.jpg

Nice avatar!

I've brewed 2 5 gal batches back to back, and it was no problem, just a little extra work.

I mashed the second one while I was boiling the first and had no real suprises. I think this is easier since you don't have to do everything twice at the same time, and you only have one pot big enough for an all-grain boil.

Since you have two burners, it should be even easier than it was for me as I had to heat my sparge water for the second batch on my stove since my burner was in use.

Good luck.

I mashed the second one while I was boiling the first and had no real suprises. I think this is easier since you don't have to do everything twice at the same time, and you only have one pot big enough for an all-grain boil.

Same here. I think it requires a little more attention and planning to have one mashing while the other's boiling, but it can be done. Just cut your homebrew consumption back by one or two during that session. ;)

I did two 5 gallon all-grain batches back-to-back a couple of times. It's not too bad if you are really motivated and don't start drinking until you start the second batch, but it does make for a long day. I would not do it at this time of year in Texas with 100 plus degree days. I start early and get done early in the summer. I'd rather get up at 04:00 AM on a Saturday and brew one batch, then repeat it on Sunday if I wanted back-to-back batches. It's a little more work since you have to clean more thoroughly in between, but much less exhausting.

Just start early in the day. The only time I did two batches in a day, I was still cleaning up at 1:00 a.m. That was not fun.

OhioBrewtus did four batches in two days, and I'm sure there's probably a few people who've done three in a day.

Heck, I'm beat after brewing one batch, plus cleaning one keg / beer line, refilling it, racking a primary to the open secondary. Oh then I had to head to the pub. I think brewing two batch's would have been easier.

Doing two batches in one day is a bit of extra effort, but perfectly doable. There's only one lot of cleaning to do in exchange for two batches of beer - so if ever beer stocks get low, I'd recommend it as a great way of getting supplies back up. As other people have said, make sure you start early, as it can drag on. And make sure you have food on hand, as it's easy to accidentally skip eating, which would make everything more effort.

Go one, join the club, start the third. ;)

Yes more than one brew in a day does take it out of you.
For tips on how NOT to do it check out the link in my signature

I did 10 gallons of Saison and 10 of my Bavarian Hefe on June 28th. The day was longer, but it worked out well. I mashed in on the second batch during the boil of the first.

Back